1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VCU's goin' dancin'!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Mar 9, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonner, there were a couple fans here griping about VCU's home court advantage. Mostly, I guess I just get tired of fans on other message boards bitching about VCU's home-court advantage. Big freaking deal. I'd shit with happiness if the tourney was 90 miles from me.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

IJAG...Been to both. Love both.

BYH...fair enough. And I agree with you. The griping is petty and just plain dumb.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's got to be TV. When was the last time the title game WASN'T on ESPN at 7 pm Monday?

The best chance the CAA had for changing the alignment of the tourney was probably after Mason's Final Four run...had the conference sustained a Missouri Valley-type success, maybe CBS would have jumped on the title game and maybe it would have been played on a Sunday afternoon.

And the problem with going Wednesday-Saturday and ending the tourney eight days before Selection Sunday is you're already forgotten by the time SS arrives. I really believe the scheduling of the title game (along with, well, you know, the other factors :mad:) hurt Hofstra three years ago. If they lose the title game Friday or Saturday instead of Monday, they're fresher in the minds of the fucking idiots on the Committee.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

But, but, but....it works better for ME if it's Thursday through Sunday.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Some ODU fans complain, but I think that has more to do with VCU, its biggest rival, being the beneficiary. They also realize that neither Scope nor Hampton will get the show any time soon (and whatever butthurt comes from the tourney being in Richmond would be magnified if it was actually at an on-campus arena like ODU or VCU's).

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Two words: T V

Again, VCU hasn't had overwhelming success here. Been good lately. The team has been good lately. One title from 1996 to 2003. No one was complaining then.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's not Moddy. That mascot isn't wearing Birks.

8. JackReacher

Is that the only open TV spot, Monday at 7? I'm sure there's somewhere else they can put it. Gotta be, right?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm bitching.

If the ACC Tourney was in a city I could drive to in under five hours, I would be there.

Anyone else check the recent price of tickets?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just checked. I wish the nighttime quarterfinal games for the Big East were that cheap.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Check the U.S. Open and The Masters on Stubhub.

Remember that you could never buy a Masters ticket like this before this depression.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

No...all these conferences have set spots. A-East is always Saturday at 11:30, NEC is always Wednesday at 7, Southland is always late Sunday, Patriot is always Friday at rush hour, etc etc.

I really think the only way to get out of it is to jump to CBS, but with George Mason's Final Four run receding into memory (aww darn!), that ship has sailed.

Draft saved Draft deleted