1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VCU fires gay volleyball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 1, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The two are not synonyms. Don't be an asshole, Mark.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There seems to be quite a correlation. Sort of like how people who drink a lot are more likely to become alcoholics.

I'm so tired of this "I was born that way" nonsense. Even if you were, man up and take some responsibility for your life and actions. Being gay is a CHOICE. No more, no less. Choices have consequences. I've been treated certain ways for far, far, far less.

3. If I had a college-aged daughter, I'd feel she was safe being around a male coach who was gay.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Mark, how can you be such a clueless fuck.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Obviously, there was friction. The question is was the firing justified?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, so maybe the AD didn't like him. Who knows why? Could be any of a million things. I've seen that play out before in athletic departments. Sad, but reality.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Would you find it acceptable to relieve an employee of his/her duties solely based on sexual orientation?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I guess it depends. If I work at a private school, particularly a religious school, then definitely yes. A state school is a harder question. Probably more legal red tape there.

Please don't expect me to condone that type of behavior. I consider it an abomination and want nothing to do with it. If others disagree, fine. I'll make my own choices and I refuse to associate with people who openly engage in those sort of things.

Now, what someone does privately they certainly may keep private. I don't pry into other people's private lives. But if you choose to make it public, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No. In this scenario, it wasn't one of a million things. The AD had never met the guy. You think the reason he never made contact was for some perceived slight before they had been introduced? Uh-uh.

10. I hate it when legal red tape makes it hard to fire gays.

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I wouldn't have. No way in hell. Because, be it 25-6, 15-16 or 6-25, if you fire him, he'll use his sexual orientation excuse to try and beat the drum on the issue itself or, more likely, win him some settlement. He probably had that idea in his hip pocket from the outset.

Hell there are tons of existing contracts involving women's sport coaches who are lesbian and it's been live, let live. There hasn't been a retaliatory suit filed when one of them gets canned.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I would also like to know how many major metros even bothered with this story, outside of Virginia. It's not local, and it's volleyball, which much of the country doesn't give a shit about.

Draft saved Draft deleted