1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VCU fires gay volleyball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 1, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm not ready to declare he was fired for being gay. But he better have broken a bunch of laws or NCAA rules to get canned at 25-6.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just playing devil's advocate here, this can't be the first time a successful head coach has been pushed out because a new AD has their coach lined up that they want to bring in.

I have no idea if the new AD is a homophobe or not, but, unless there is direct evidence to suggest he was fired/not extended because he was gay, it is pretty difficult to prove on conjecture and assumptions by the now ex-coach alone.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes, but it may be enough to draw a settlement.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is true. Which, if I am in his spot, is what I would be shooting for anyway. If I'm a coach and an AD froze me out and then refused to offer me another contract after a 25-6 year on the assumption that it was because of my sexual orientation, I wouldn't want to work for him. I would, however, try to force a big settlement out of the school.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

From what I can gather, VCU claims it wasn't happy with his performance. Yet, he was a winner. Something definitely isn't right.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That happens plenty of times. Coaches (Bobby Petrino comes to mind immediately) get canned for off-the-field stuff.

But if the case was they simply decided not to renew his contract, that's perfectly legit. Unless he had some rollover clause in the contract. Otherwise, contract is up, either side is free to walk away. Would anyone howl if he had resigned to take another position?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In 1995, Wisconsin won the men's soccer championship. That winter, the coach was fired because he offended the sensibilities of the assistant AD who oversaw the program. She hired some unaccomplished friend of hers and Wisconsin hasn't done shit in soccer since.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder if we have all the information here. There could be 1,001 different possible reasons. Don't know why he is playing the discrimination card.

If he is, I wonder how that will go over. "I was let go because I was gay" "Good. If they had known you never would have been hired in the first place!"

10. I know you wouldn't have interviewed him, right, if you knew he was gay?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You gotta be kidding me. And this doesn't raise some smoke signals to you?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell no. Not if I knew. If you had a college-age daughter, would you want her to be coached by a homosexual/pedophile?

Draft saved Draft deleted