1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VCU fires gay volleyball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Coach was 25-6. Claims he was canned because of his sexual orientation.
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8695613/vcu-rams-volleyball-coach-james-finley-says-was-fired-gay

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless the coach had a digital recorder in his pocket, it's going to be hard to prove the AD's intent.

3. Grover

Grover New Member

Shoddy headline. The coach was not fired, as his contract was up and was not renewed.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Coach says he was fired. Just going by what he said.

5. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Not renewing a contract is the same as firing.
    There's still being the coach, resigning and being fired.
    And sometimes even resigning is being fired.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He'd have been fired if he had not been allowed to finish out his contract. His contract had an end date ... December 31. He was not offered a new contract. That's not being fired. That's being told you're not going to be hired again.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

so the difference between being fired because you're gay and not having your contract renewed because you're gay is...?

8. doctorquant

There's no difference, but I'm not touching that. I'm simply saying he wasn't fired. For what it's worth, though, I'm doubtful that his being gay had anything to do with it. Had he come out recently, I'd be much more inclined to think that.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How do we know that?

When did he come out? Is he on an annual contract? Did he come out after signing his last contract?

Also, there's been an AD change this year. How does that play into it?

Lots of questions to answer before coming down on either side.

10. doctorquant

Per the article he's been there several years, but he's also got sons with his spouse (not sure of the details on that) but I got the sense his life was no secret.:

Of course the new AD played a huge role in it.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He also may have signed a contract multiple years ago (doubtful, I know), before he was out, and it expired and gave the university an opening.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Kevin Anderson the new AD at VCU, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted