1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VCU basketball beat writer, the Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael Phillips, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips New Member

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is seeking a sports reporter to join our award-winning staff. The position’s primary focus will be covering the VCU basketball team, which has a passionate local following. The reporter will be expected to be the go-to source for news and information on the team, including breaking news.

Internet skills are a must – the ability to file quick, error-free copy throughout the day will help distinguish our coverage. The reporter also will be expected to cover recruiting and develop relationships with the coaching staff to further that element of our coverage.

Knowledge of multimedia and video is a plus – we are looking to own the beat across all platforms. During the offseason, the reporter will assist with coverage of other VCU sports, as well as other local events as assigned by the editor.

Application:
    Job opportunity at local paper, a subsidiary of BH Media Group, Inc. - Sports reporter

If you've got questions, I'm happy to field them.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

First new writing hire in years at the TD. Vic Dorr just retired. Not sure if Tim Pearrell is leaving or is moving to another beat, I'm sure Michael can answer that question.

VCU basketball is huge in Richmond and your stuff will be well read. This is a primo beat.

Any questions about the area, I'd be glad to answer.

3. Michael Phillips

Tim will still be here. He's going to be my right-hand man on office matters, and will help out with our high school sports website, 804 Varsity, which we're putting a lot of time and resources into.

Cosmo likes this.
  4. mistadobalina

mistadobalina New Member

Link is down, this position filled already?

5. Michael Phillips

I'll look into the link. Not filled yet. The plan was to take applications through Friday, then we'll get in touch with the finalists.

6. mistadobalina

mistadobalina New Member

Ever get the link figured out?

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Awesome name you got lol

8. Michael Phillips

Link is down, but you can e-mail your resume and clips to me and I'll give full consideration. Thanks!

mistadobalina likes this.
  9. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Seems like they've chosen the finalists for the position

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wayne Epps Jr. is the new VCU beat writer. Sounds like he's got a hell of a resume. Congrats.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent hire. Young and will definitely grow into and with the beat. Congratulations and best wishes.

12. mn67

mn67 New Member

Looks like he was already working there on the HS beat. Perhaps this creates another opening there.

AndrettiSJ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted