1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various stuff at MLB.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NDub, Feb 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My friend Boots, the problem as we all know is that too many people, specifically fresh-out-of-college kids, will do anything to get a job in this business, even if said full-time job was fellating a colleague all day without pay. All one needs to do is look at the jobs boards and all the low-rent Web sites that post their "experience building" freelance gigs.

And I don't know how much "journalism" is practiced at MLB.com. Yes, they run gamers and features, but I'm not seeing many enterprises pieces on the effects of steroids, for instance.

2. boots

boots New Member

You won't see those stories because despite what their disclaimer says, MLB.com is MLB.

3. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

Well, MLB.com just filled full-time beat openings covering the Pirates and I think San Francisco is still open.

4. Do you honestly think MLB would hire people to air its own dirty laundry? Let ESPN and local media handle the soiled stuff.

5. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Met a woman once who strung for MLB.com. They payed her very little and had her fill in for Dodgers, Angels and Padres games. She was fresh out of college and god awful, so I didn't feel to bad for her, commuting back and forth from L.A. to San Diego. She actually quoted me (did not use my name, just "a reporter") in a srping training gamer. But it was more of a here's what's going on at the ballpark today story. Very, very bad. But she was nice, and quite knowledgeable, just had a ways to go on the writing end. A long ways to go.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Both jobs are already filled, actually.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Chris Haft is doing the Giants, from what I just read on Bonds. He was with San Jose, right? And is Jack O'Connell newly hired full-time by the company? I saw his byline on the HOF story today. Those are two good hires.

8. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

...they also hired a new full-time guy for the Yankees during the offseason.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Actually I just was hired by the Cincinnati Reds to do some stat work for their front office

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought Marge Schott was dead....

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted