1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various resume questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Oct 16, 2008.

1. True Son

True Son New Member

I've been PMing a lot of you and getting some advice on how to set up my resume (thanks to all of you who have helped me out) and am hearing a lot of different things, sometimes conflicting. I just had a few questions about what most of you think is the most efficient and effective way to set up a resume.

1. Is it OK to have a resume longer than one page? In the past I've heard you should try to keep it to one. But some of you have said not to worry.

2. References. Do I list them on the resume or on a separate page? Also, how many should I list? In the past I've listed five but am now hearing only to list three.

3. Should you avoid using bullets? I always thought bullets were a great way to organize a resume but some of you have frowned on that. Why or why not?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You should put this topic on the journalism board, where it belongs, and not on the jobs board -- which is only a listing of jobs -- for a start.

3. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Just a suggestion -- 3 usually comes after 2.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

For your help, read through this thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54622/

5. True Son

True Son New Member

I wondered if this wouldn't be better here instead of the Jobs board. And my bad on the typo.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Haha, just ribbing you. As far as your questions go, here's what I've been told ...

1) Never go longer than one page. Maybe that's the old conventional wisdom, but I wouldn't want to be the one who goes over. It shows that you can be concise and that you can pull out the most important stuff.

2) I never really list references until they ask for 'em.

3) I don't think anyone has a problem with or without bullet points.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There's somebody I'd like to introduce you to ... :)

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1) If you're young, you probably haven't done enough to warrant a 2-page resume of relevant experience. But if you have, don't let the "rule" stop you. 2) 3 refs is fine, separate page is fine. 3) Bullets are fine; just make sure it's all clean, consistent and correct.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Disagree. Why make them ask? Send 'em. Assume that they'll want to talk with your references. I think not sending them is a terrible mistake.

10. Agreed. So much about this business is who you know. If an SE notices that you know some big dogs in the industry, he/she is going to take a closer look at you.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Three good references are better than five okay references. Bullets are good as long as your resume is simple.

If you are new enough to the biz where you are asking resume questions, you most certainly should not have a two page resume. If you have been in the business for like 20 years, then yes, by all means, flow onto page 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted