1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various jobs at Bankrate.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you are looking for relative stability in the unstable world of journalism, I'd imagine this is a good place. They have been around for decades; they used to be Bank Rate Monitor. And they are pretty well regarded. When I used to do personal finance reporting, they were a very reliable source of information. What they do in terms of their rate surveys for hundreds of financial products is valuable and not very easily replicated, so I can't imagine they are going anywhere anytime soon. I am not overly familiar with their original stuff, except in passing, but they seem to be solid outfit. It's worth looking at if you have any interest in finance / business.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I know of several people who were either laid off by newspapers in this area or looking for a more stable situation who wound up with Bankrate in the Palm Beach Gardens office. From what I have heard, the pay scale for copy editors is a bit low -- but isn't that the case everywhere these days? And the pay situation might be better for reporters. There's never been any news of layoffs or cutbacks there, which is encouraging. It's also worth mentioning that northern Palm Beach County is one damn fine place to live, assuming you can afford it.

Draft saved Draft deleted