1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanity Licence Plate Giant Fail. And Ted, hand in your man card.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Apr 6, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Aren't there lots of people who keep Alaska residency even after they move (and hence their plates) so they can get the oil check every year? Or do you have to physically live in the state?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Consider yourself lucky, man. A lot of it could have to do with where you live, and the number of pick-ups on the road. I live in a city of 50K or so, surrounded by farmland. Lotsa trucks, a few with fake nut sacks.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

You don't have to physically live there. You can claim a permanent residence while away on pertinent business to receive a Permanent Fund Dividend. You have to have a place to claim, though.

The way things work up here, I'm sure there are some pre-2000 residents who can just sign a form once a year, update their car registration and wait for a check in October. The way I was brought into the system in 2008 seems to weed that kind of thing out. Heck, I had daily bylines in the local paper for 18 months and my check was delayed for further investigation.

IIRC, the initial dividend registration asks for two references who are Alaska residents and do not live in the same home as you. The yearly check-up application asks if you have been out of the state for more than 90 days or in the state for less than 90 days during the year in question. I'm guessing a wrong answer there is a red flag and cause for an audit.

There are several ways to dupe the system legally, but most are too expensive to justify a $1,000-per-person yearly check. Well, unless you're an oil field worker, but that's enough for one post, eh?

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Gee, what direction was the guy with the cue cards? Cause he sure as shit wasn't anywhere near the camera.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Or have sex.

6. bwright

bwright Member

More likely it was Teddy Buckland.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Had not thought of the principle parts of that verb since Latin III...

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

There is a silver sedan (Nissan or Mazda I think) driving around in Virginia with a plate that reads:

I SWA LO

I asked my wife if she thought that the cost of that plate was written off as a business expense by the woman who was driving the vehicle at the time...

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They now make a "Calvin pisses on Calvin praying" sticker.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think it's a tribute to Tiger Woods or Brett Favre.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bwright

bwright Member

More like win.

Draft saved Draft deleted