1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanderbilt: no athletic department, pretty good athletics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Money coming out of your ears doesn't hurt. I hate when the play the money card. Their boosters make a lot and give a lot. We just don't get to see how much because it's a private school.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, S-P. We all should have asked how this was going a long time ago.

Neither Gee nor Vandy declared war on sports. Now the Division I jockocracy? You bet.

I love it. I bet there are a lot fewer four-line titles for former athletes in the Vanderbilt media guide. And for the most part, that's a good thing.

EDIT: Todd Turner isn't much of a loss as an athletic director.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt: That's a GREAT example of a pretty good athletic department.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Golly Gee did something right. Was more than he could do in Columbus....

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The coaches who are engineering the success Vandy is currently having were in place before the school "dropped" its athletic department so I wouldn't say the change in administration has anything to do with the success the school is currently having.

Let's see what happens when the football coach, baseball coach or one of the hoops coaches leaves.

6. Armchair_QB

My point is, Vandy has seen comparable success in hoops and baseball in the past and has been somewhat competitive in football from time to time. I have a hard time crediting this change in philosophy for the limited success Vandy is currently experiencing. Especially since every one of the coaches responsible for it was already in place.

7. Armchair_QB

Success with coaches that were already in place. And it's not like they weren't graduating kids before the switch.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My point in starting the thread was Vanderbilt doesn't seem to be hurting athletically since the move (as opposed to the change suddenly making these teams winners). And as I posted in question form at the top of this page, it might be too soon to jump to any other conclusions.

Draft saved Draft deleted