1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Valkenburg to ESPN The Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by VictoryGallop, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a feeling being well connected is the residue of being a good overall person. Not always is this the case, but if you can flat out bring it as a writer, are smart and witty and people like being around you, that is pretty much a winning combination.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not always. I'm a bitch, but I've gotten all but my first job because I knew someone who at least got my resume looked at.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good guy, excellent writer. Only reason I ever looked at the Sun, really. He'll do really well with this one. Talent is talent.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We're not. ESPN easily gets its money's worth out of the person you're talking about, whether I or anyone else nitpicks his work.

My larger point is: If you want to root for writerly writing and people's talent getting used, root for ESPN to keep landing major sporting contracts and few Disney to stay Disney. Disney, understand, will overpay ridiculously for sports because it needs ESPN to strong-arm cable companies to paying whatever Disney demands for, oh, the channel that has Wizards of Waverly Place. No ESPN, and you don't know who Miley Cyrus is or ever was. I'm not kidding.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dude. Miley Cyrus was Hannah Montana. Wizards of Waverly Place starred Selena Gomez. Duh.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's true, and in the reverse too. I had a great freelance routine for a long time at espn.com a few years back and then it vanished at the height of the economic downturn. My editor said, without a hint of sarcasm, that people weren't going to Disney parks anymore.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Disney's vaunted "synergy" is a beast that feeds upon itself in the best of times.

And also requires cuts from unrelated ventures when some are perceived as not holding up their end.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. As someone who reads the Sun probably more than most, I completely disagree, and not just because I like Kevin. Some good work still gets done there. Some real good work. But there's a whole lot of staleness, too.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As the catastrophic marriage of AOL and Time-Warner demonstrated, the phenomenon is not unique.

Congratulations to KVV, and to ESPN for the hire.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Congrats to KVV, great move.

Will continue to hope and pray that someday the design of the Mag will rise to the level of the writing, and ceases to force readers to determine whether each page is an ad or an actual piece of writing.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Second.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I mean, the pivotal original designer is gone. Sometimes, change for change's sake is good.

Draft saved Draft deleted