1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Valkenburg on the bizarro of Adam Muema

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 23, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I appreciate the friendly, constructive discussion. Some of the "praise" makes me a little uncomfortable and I promise you that's not false modesty. I like talking about stories, even my own, but I'm just a dude, no different than I was when I started posting here in 2001 when I was covering girls lacrosse in Howard County, Maryland.

One suggestion that I think might help journalism discussions: A broader scope of writers would help. There are a handful of people, many of them former posters here, whose names come up too much. Almost all of them write "longform." I think we could do some real good if we talked about medium length pieces or great beat writing or column writing that could be real helpful. One of my favorite posts ever here was shockey explaining how he got Brett Favre to talk about Frank Winters after a press conference the week of the Super Bowl or NFC Championship. Certain people, myself among them, would need to be ok too with the fact that some pieces just aren't going to be liked by some people, and fighting about it is pointless.

Anyway, please start more threads out there that aren't about me or any of my friends. Lots of good journalism out there.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is shockey's post about why press conferences don't have to suck, if you know how to work the angles in the few seconds after they're wrapping up. Should be required reading for how to work a beat.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2989503/

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Something got me thinking about Muema today so I went looking to see if there's anything recent about him.

1, He has deleted just about all of his Instagram account.

2, For some reason this ESPN video from 2016 is no longer:

3, The most recent news article from April has a blurb about him: First round of 2018 NFL Draft shows off underrated CFB talent evaluators like Bud Foster, Frank Wilson, Jeff Horton, Ed Warinner

4, What we have here is a RayEl-praising sermon by Bishop Adam Muema in January 2017:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted