1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Halen Tour over before it begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This will be a good post to save for the next time you rip on today's music noting that "sales don't mean quality."

Anyway, makes no sense to me to rip Hendrix while glorifying Eddie. Why can't both be important?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think we can all agree on one thing: Pink Floyd sucks.

Oh hi Junkie, didn't see you there! Back from timeout, are we?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Why must you say these things?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Come on. I can see the point you and Piotr are making about trading guitars for the keys and not liking that, and in some respect, I can fall in line with that as well. On the other hand, musical artists tend to evolve over time. Take Sting as an example. I personally much preferred the tunes he spun out with the Police, but I'm not going to say his work post-cops was a flame out just because it doesn't fit with my preferences.

But to say VH doesn't have an impressive musical catalog? That's really giving me the Runaround. A statement like that would have my friend, Jamie Cryin'. I guess you Ain't Talking 'Bout Love for VH, so I'll have to Finish What You Started. Right Now. Yep, things are gonna get Unchained.

Tonight, in honor of this thread, I'm going somewhere to listen to some big and Little Guitars, and Dance the Night Away with some Beautiful Girls. Try to make it the Best of Both Worlds, ya know? Later, perhaps The Cradle Will Rock cuz' me and Everybody Wants Some.

I'm guessing this will generate a rebuttal of some sort.

I'll Wait.

Now, where's that Poundcake to munch on?

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Jesus, New Kids on the Block and Leann Rimes have sold as much as Bob Marley. That's just not right.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Of course, I am proud Michael Bolton has sold 28 million albums. :)

But, not really.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Boston's better than Pearl Jam ... 31 million to 30 million! Wow, you can learn something new every day on SportsJournalists.com

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Oh, and 2Pac has 36.5 million sold!

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Stones only have 66M sold. I would have guessed much higher. That's what, 1 sale per album released? ;D

And I see the Spice Girls have sold the same number as Steely Dan (11M). I weep for America.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Cliff Burton, Randy Rhodes, Bon Scott... I'm not saying all are as talented as Eddie, but they certainly were taken or took themselves away far too early in their careers...

Eddie's been in Van Halen for almost 30 years... How many rock stars get a 30-year run?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Hendrix had complete control of only one album, Electric Ladyland.

Now, children, drink your milk and go to bed. You've had a busy thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted