1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Halen Tour over before it begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Which version of Van Halen was it that demanded M&M's backstage minus the brown ones?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That was the DLR version. And the reason they did that was to see if the promoter was actually reading the contract or not.

And I'm thinking they could play "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" as is....

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Eddie Van Halen is the biggest waste of talent in rock history.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

And Val now looks like this!

[​IMG]

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with you there, PHINJ. Are some of his actions over the past years/decade on the wrong side of looney? No doubt.

But the overall musical catalog stands on its own. And as I have written elsewhere, he did things with the guitar that no one had ever done before.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ed Van Halen was awesome. Was.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed he did. Then he decided "Hey, what if I let the new singer and the amateurish doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo keyboard riffs take center stage, and relegate myself to playing mediocre solos?"

And his conscious decision to minimize and dilute the band's sound was unfortunately validated by Aerosmith fan-types buying those records in droves. But make no mistake: he has spent the last 20 years wasting his talent.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yes, he did things with the guitar that no one had ever done. And he did...what, exactly? I mean, it was awesome jerking off while listening to Eddie shred on "Eruption" and all, but in 30 years, people will still be listening to Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Robert Johnson...how many will be listening to Van Halen I?

What was the musical catalogue, anyway? That awesome tone on "Pretty Woman"? "Ice Cream Man"?

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"No, seriously, we need a doctor up here."

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Um, I'd venture you're an idiot.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

On a quick guess, I'd say the ratio of memorable songs Jimi wrote vs. the memorable songs Eddie wrote is about 10-1.

So Eddie can do his two-finger tapping and play with the whammy bar. Wow. That certainly changed the face of music forever.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I guess Hendrix didn't write enough songs bitching about how much it sucks to be rich and famous for Junkie to like his music . . . . .

For what it's worth, sales figures:

http://riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

And yes . . . both Hendrix and Van Halen were excellent before flaming out. Hendrix due to death, Eddie due to falling in love with the keyboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted