1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Halen---The debate to end it all.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Kevin Stevens wishes that were true.

2. Saw both several times:

***Roth was an idiot and treated fans poorly. But the shows were entertaining.

***Hagar was a great front man and the shows were "rock concerts." Better contributor to the band overall, as well.

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Hagar's autobiography. If you're a fan of 70s to 90s rock, you won't be able to put it down.
    http://www.amazon.com/Red-My-Uncensored-Life-Rock/dp/0062009281

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It might be that VH was better in spite of Roth. I certainly understand where Hagar might trump Roth individually on many levels. But as has been said, up through 1984, VH was at the top of their craft. You can't say that of Van Hagar.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This, combined with BYH's screed, pretty much is where I am. Early Van Halen is tops. But if given a choice between DLR and Hagar at the time of the great schism, definitely Hagar. Roth was a giant disappointment as a solo artist, and Hagar gave Vah Halen a relevancy in the late 80's/early 90's that Roth couldn't even give himself.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me Diamond Dave is one of the great frontmen in rock history (and he got the whole video thing as well as anybody in rock). I loved Diamond Dave's EP and he put out a great first solo album with a smoking band featuring Steve Vai. But with the odd exception after that the material wasn't very strong and it didn't take him long to lapse into parody.

Sammy was a different kind of front man who made VH a different kind of band. Not as great as the original lineup but with a while lot more staying power than DLR on his own.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What was the last piece of new music Roth put out?

Chickenfoot is a damn good band/side project.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"Philosophers no longer become kings, they write pop songs."

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good question. Don't know if I have seen or heard much from him since he was a guest on Stern years ago.

I liked the Chickenfoot album too. No idea if they'll do another one but that one reminded me of those albums we cranked on the boom box in the backyard in the summer back in the day.

9. Mizzougrad96

OK... List your five favorite Van Halen songs...

10. Mizzougrad96

1. Running with the Devil
    2. Summer Nights
    3. Eruption
    4. Jump
    5. Panama
    6. Dreams

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's six, but anyway....

1. Running With The Devil
    2. Ice Cream Man
    3. And The Cradle Will Rock
    4. Everybody Wants Some
    5. Panama

Fave VH "obscurity": "Top Jimmy".

12. Mizzougrad96

Since Eruption is an instrumental, so it doesn't count... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted