1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Halen---The debate to end it all.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This seems like a good place to point out that Sammy Hagar is 63 years old (born 10/13/1947) ... as in, he's older than Robert Plant (born 8/20/48), Ozzy Osbourne (12/3/48) and Gene Simmons (8/25/49) and only two years younger than Eric Clapton (3/30/45) and five years younger than Paul McCartney (6/18/42).

That blew my mind when I first realized it.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dave is a rock star and a showman. Hagar just sucks. Doesn't get it and never will.

I saw one Cherone show on MTV once upon a time ago. He was not terrible.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why do these things stick on my head?

Greatest Van of all-time.

Anyway, if any of the other Vans have a laser of death like the Super Van did, lemme know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It's .... not .... even ... close.

Hagar was OK, particularly at first, but Dave had it goin' on.

5. Steak Snabler

Another great "Van":

[​IMG]

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Dude, that's my skull!"

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Right Now" sucked. Hagar sucks. And here's a sucky version of the National Anthem by Hagar in his geriatric suckitude.

.be&hd=1

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No love for Montrose?

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have the 8 track:

[​IMG]

10. Steak Snabler

Hagar has been the lead singer for two bands named after someone else, which pretty much says it all ...

That said, he did sell Cabo Wabo tequila for $100 million, so he's not a total moron.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why even list Cherone as a possibility? And I think you knew Roth would be winning this from the start.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK, I'll be the bad guy here. "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" is a GREAT album. GREAT. Perhaps some of my fondness is for the memories--it reminds me of backseats, as Shoeless Joe might put it--but the 1-2 punch of "Poundcake" and "Runaround" is the last gasp of the album rock era. GREAT ALBUM.

And "5150" is no slouch either. Some great, great driving tunes on that album.

Roth is an epic showman, but he and Van Halen put out some filler. And with Roth as lead singer, VH would have peaked in 1986--just as Roth did. Hagar lent the band some maturity (and it's pretty obvious, given the output of each party since the breakup, who was the responsible one in the Hagar-Van Halen troika) and depth Roth couldn't hope to approximate on his best/worst day. VH was the biggest band in rock in the late '80s and early '90s b/c of Hagar.

That said, the final Hagar album, "Balance," was some kind of suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted