1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Gundy out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, May 7, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So maybe this has been discussed on other boards, but yesterday the New York Post reported that Jeff Van Gundy would retire from coaching but today the AP has a story quoting the coach saying he hasn't made any plans quite yet.

Here's the Post story

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05062007/sports/van_gundy_retires___again_sports_peter_vecsey.htm

then here's the AP story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2007/05/07/rockets.van.gundy.ap/index.html

Thoughts anyone?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ron Jeremy wept.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised is he stepped down. I would say he might be angling for a new GM to give him a deeper lineup. With the addition of a solid power forward who can add 15 and 10 an night, this team could go somewhere next season.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Do they go after Garnett?
    I don't think Houston has the right pieces to pull off the trade and Minnesota doesn't seem too willing to dump him for lottery picks, but stranger things have happened..

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Is Vecsey hanging out on a limb at this moment? Is he having a few stress-filled days?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

"This is my wife. Mrs. Van Gundy."

7. Houston needs a point guard more than anything.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why? Because there's a chance he could be wrong?
    That has never mattered to Vecsey or the Post

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

This would be his second massive brick this season. The other was when TJ Simers called him out for 'borrowing' from a blogger.

Although, to his credit, I believe he was the first (or one of the first) to break that Iverson was being shopped (not that actual trade; that was David Aldridge).

And yes, point guard should be the team's top priority. Who knows, maybe Acie Law falls to the Rockets at 26 (doubtful).

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for reminding me of my favorite campaign slogan--Spnited for POY: Looks like Ron Jeremy, fucks like Stan Van Gundy.

11. IU90

IU90 Member

If I'm not mistaken, this wouldn't be the first time Vecsey's given us a wrong "scoop".

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

Draft saved Draft deleted