1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Gorder pulls Petrino on Gamecocks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Hard to argue with an NFL DC post, but it's difficult not to look like a clown when this kind of decision is made three weeks after this story runs:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/vangorder1228.html

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but the dude is one hell of a defensive coordinator

as a georgia grad, gotta say i love this move. i was scared to death of the spurrier/vangorder combo with the cocks

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If any of you really think BVG will be an NFL head coach one day, I've got some beautiful ocean-front property in Iowa to sell you.

He is a solid DC, though. No doubt about that.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Like you can rank the head coaching chances of the current batch of coordinators... give me a break.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This is a road map of BVG coaching stops.

http://projects.ajc.com/maps/sports/falcons/VanGorders-coaching-stops/

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

While I've been unable to stand VanGorder since his time at GSU, that map isn't really telling. My guess is that if you look at most career assistants (I don't really count that year in Statesboro) his age, about half would have as worked at as many schools as he has.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Eight years ago, you could've said the same thing about Cam Cameron, and look what happened.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why wouldn't you count the year at Southern? That's as long as he's spent anywhere else in the past half-decade.

9. Hammer Pants

The moron took one of the proudest programs in Division I-AA and wrecked it in ONE SEASON! And then he bolted.

I feel fairly comfortable saying he will never, ever be an NFL head coach. Never say never, I know, but this would be stunning.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have never heard of Brian Van Gorder.

This must be another SEC fanboilooser thread.

11. Hammer Pants

You are correct. Care to give us your input?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, nobody outside the SEC ... or maybe outside South Carolina ... gives a flying fuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted