1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Gorder pulls Petrino on Gamecocks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not sure who scooped this, but here goes...

Brian Van Gorder gives the SEC's most cursed fans another kick in the stomach, leaving after a month as South Carolina's DC to take the same position with the Falcons. What's this ... five jobs in five years for BVG? But good news, Georgia Southern fans! He's back closer to Statesboro!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/01/24/falconsburst_0124.html

Read the archived headlines below the story. Hilarious. South Carolina not having a DC on signing day could really hurt its recruiting class.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

We prefer to call it a "Cremins" in this part of the country.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

As a proud Georgia Southern alum, I hope the guy rots for all I care.

This VanGorder timeline, brought to you by U-Haul...

2004: UGA defensive coordinator
    2005: Jacksonville Jaguars LB coach
    2006: Georgia Southern coach
    2007: Falcons LB coach
    2007: South Carolina defensive coordinator
    2008: Falcons defensive coordinator
    2009: ????

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I bet the visored one is displeased with this decision. Can't wait until his next media availability.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm sure it'll be interrupted by a penis joke from a member of the "media."

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

And, in a nice slice of irony, Ellis Johnson did the same thing to Petrino, leaving just a couple weeks after taking the DC job in Arkansas to take the USC gig. Johnson had been DC at Miss. State.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Who in their right mind would hire Brian Van Gorder at this point? You know he's gone in a year (or a month). What a POS.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Whatever... life as a college assistant coach (or even a head guy at a small school) is fucking difficult.

Now, he is in the NFL coordinator bloodstream, some serendipitous occurrence from a big paycheck.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Then why did he leave Jacksonville for the GSU job? I guess you can assume he left GSU because he found he preferred the NFL ranks, but then he leaves the Falcons for USC. So I guess he prefers the college ranks after all. Oh, wait ... nope, back to the NFL a month later.

I know you have to look out for No. 1, but that's a lot of job-hopping in a short span. Maybe "POS" was a tad strong, but the guy has a recent history of pulling some dick moves on his employers. And I don't have a dog in the hunt.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He went from LB coach to HC at GSU. Is that upward, maybe. He didn't leave the Falcons for USC. The HC quit and quys scrambled for jobs.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And... he's a fucking defensive coordinator in the NFL.

As I said... ostensibly one heartbeat away from the pinnacle payday in the coaching profession.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No shit. Being one step away from HC in the NFL compared to kissing 17 year old ass on the recruiting trail. Hmm. Not much of a decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted