1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van de Velde Alert (or 2012 Golf thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No. But Jack also wasn't playing three-piece balls and titanium woods that allow even a dumbass like me to launch a 250 yarder every now and then.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Playing the same game as those around him, BYM. Same as Woods.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Phil was just amazing. Three shots lower than the next-best guy on the course, eight birdies, no bogeys. Ninth in PGA Tour history to 40 career wins -- and now he's got more than Watson. At his age, all that matters now is majors and, to make up for lost time, beating Tiger head-to-head as much as possible. Tiger can bitch about the putts and greens and whatever, but there's gotta be some serious mental lint building up right now from an 11-shot beatdown by Phil.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, Tiger's slump-shouldered demeanor has now become the elephant in the room. All the commentators are just a little too anxious to proclaim, "He's back!!", and they're ignoring that he still looks tentative in all the spots where he once looked invincible.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When he holed out from the bunker on 12 the commentators were convinced he was going to birdie in. He didn't even have the momentum going to the next tee, thanks to that bomb par save from Phil.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When Phil's par putt went in, I immediately rolled over, and took a nap.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Great win but Phil still trails Tiger 14-4 in majors.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

/makes jack-off motion

Nice job stating the obvious to gloss over another Sunday choke by Tiger.

Bet Phil wins more from here on out, though.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why do they make Tiger play on a seperate course than everyone else? Does the seperate but equal rule apply to clubs and balls, too?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tiger can bitch but its all about the scoreboard. He lost. Everyone played the same course, the same greens.

His alternative is going to be "I'm the greatest golfer ever, EXCEPT WHEN WE PLAY GREENS I HATE?"

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My favorite if Tiger more recent whiny complaints is that he doesn't like courses where you can make a lot of birdies, that he prefers "difficult" set ups with super fast greens because that's the "way golf should be played." Which, of course, implies without saying it that he's not interested in winning the "easy" tournaments, and that when conditions are really hard, his talent obviously will shine.

I think he's going to win a major this year (maybe even the Masters), and even though he'll kind of back his way into winning (at late round collapse by someone else) everyone will get a gigantic Tiger boner again, and you'll actually have someone write, in all seriousness, "We could be looking at a Grand Slam, folks!"

And it will be two, maybe three years before he wins another.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Well, he doesn't care for The Honors, either, apparently, so once again...
    Fuck Tiger Woods.
    In a figurative sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted