1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van de Velde Alert (or 2012 Golf thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 29, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to go to the Phoenix Open once, just because. But 170,000 fans does sound a little claustrophobic, even for a golf tournament. And frankly, maybe even a little unbelievable considering there's 30,000 around the 16th hole. Are there really 140,000 folks on the rest of the property?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've wondered that myself. I mean, I know it's in a desert and all, but still.....

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I believe they count cars and multiply that number by, I think, 3.8 people per vehicle. I don't know that anyone really knows how many people are on the course on any one given day, and for the tournament to provide an exact attendance count is a bit far-fetched. I've been on a course with 45,000 people and I thought that was mayhem.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tiger and Phil matched up in the last group. Tiger starts four back, but Charlie Wi doubles the first (three-putt from 3 feet) and now is only two back. Should be an entertaining afternoon.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Tiger and Phil one group from the last... Phil dominates, Tiger putts like a bad amateur and for the third week in a row, the PGA Tour has a major come-from-behind win.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wow. What a choke job on the 18th hole birdie putt by Tiger.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's two really bad Sunday finishes for Woods.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It will be a dark, cold day in hell before Woods ever plays the AT&T again.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

God, it makes me so happy that Phil stomped Tiger today. Just killed him.

Woods crushes Phil by 11 shots and this thread is five pages long already.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You knew Wi was done after that double. The first hole at Pebble is probably the easiest opening hole on the PGA Tour. Most guys play it 4-iron or hyrid, then 9-ron.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tiger was bitching about the greens Friday. He doesn't play the tournament much because he hates those bumpy poa annua surfaces. Never seemed to bother Jack when he won at Pebble four times.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And let's not forget that Jack walked five miles uphill on every fairway.

Draft saved Draft deleted