1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Van Ailin'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Went and saw Diamond Dave and the Dutch boys last night.

I had been waiting 25 years to go with my wife to see these guys (heck, I grab any opportunity to get into the DeLorean and scream back to the 1980s like it's a fucking life preserver bobbing on my roiling ocean of rock-and-roll discontent).

Fuck.

Danny Noonan sticks another shovel deep into the ground, and keeps digging up my plot.

There were some rollicking, rocking moments to be sure (Everybody Wants Some, Unchained, Beautiful Girls, the solos), but damn....

Whatever made David Lee Roth the heart of Van Halen when I was 15, it's long since kicked through the saloon doors and been whisked away. Gone is the down-to-the-elbows mane of bleach-blonde. No more ass-less chaps. And, the air-splits jump from the drum kit? Happy Trails. Even his ridiculously over-the-top persona had been chopped up like so much kindling. There was a beaten-down man in there, seemingly cognizant that he was a handyman with an empty toolbelt.

That's all he ever had were those flamboyant rock-and-roll accoutrements. He had no discernable musical talent.

So there he was, with much more clothing than in 1983, but much more naked.

He sped through Ice Cream Man like a combination of John Kerry delivering the convention acceptance speech in 2004 and a guy who had the runs and had to sprint to the commode. Disgusting. And, frankly, he was early and late all night. Sometimes flat-out not singing a line from a song to try conjuring enough wind to produce a trademark scream.... or is it a wheeze?

Oh well.

My wife said she had a great time. All I could think to myself is.... you simply have no idea how much better it was. Then again, I'm sure she did and was just humoring me in the first place.

Well, bomba-fucking-deeda.

The legend became fact last night.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Van Ailin

Is Rolling Stone suddenly hiring? Sign Simon up.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm sure your wallet is ailing too.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Jesus... my wife bought me tickets for XMas. OK... not great.

So, I bought tickets up close to the stage.... and couldn't unload the previous four.

I have never had such a debacle.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

So it wasn't sold out?

and thank goodness I finally read something other than glowing praise for this tour. It sounded like a wreck from day one.

6. Simon_Cowbell

It was a sellout.... bizarre.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably another case of the ticket brokers misreading the market and snapping up all the tix.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think the glowing reviews on the tour so far lent itself more to very low expectations than anything else. Everybody thought it would be the ultimate trainwreck, so just seeing them put together a coherent show is a bonus. And I don't think many people thought the tour would even last this long.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I can honestly say I like Van Hagar very much.

I can honestly say I wouldn't walk across the fucking street to watch Van Halen with DLR.

10. Simon_Cowbell

From 1977-1984, it was an incredible experience.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite. I don't recognize the Samnmy Hagar era at all. But VH with Diamond Dave was fucking great. Having said that, I wouldn't trudge over the snow banks and risk my life on the ice to watch them play in the parking lot here today.

12. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

I saw VH in 1982 and they were great.

My wife wanted me to take her to see them now. I refused. DLR is old and the bassist is different. I don't care who he is or what they play now. They are not the VH I grew up with, saw then and want to remember.

No way in hell would I pay to see them now, just like I would not pay to see Led or Sabbath without Ozzy or Queen without Mercury.

Draft saved Draft deleted