1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valentine's Day, ugh!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I consider myself a lucky husband as well in that my wife sees the "holiday" as bullshit as well. Refers to as "emotional bribery day." So, I've always been off the hook. "Sweetests Day" is an even bigger crock.

I've always felt that if you treat a significant other well consistently, there won't be a need for someone to feel neglected and pin hollow hopes on these manufactured holidays. I've always found that unsolicited and unexpected acts of kindness, love and appreciation are more genuine and honest, and go over a lot better. It may not work for many couples, but it has worked well for us for more than a decade.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Uh ... no.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Speaking of manufactured holidays: Happy Love Day! ;D

[​IMG]

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Yes it is.
    At the time I was living in NJ, the woman was living in Kentucky and gave me all kinds of shit on the phone - while I'm at the office on a busy football Saturday - that I didn't get her a card, a gift or call. I said it's not on any calendar I've seen. She said its on the calendar down there.
    So I guess it was only celebrated in parts of America, or has it spread to the whole country by now?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not here, not yet!

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've never heard of it.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never heard of it, but I'm also pretty oblivious to a lot of things around me.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Make it happen, March 14. Here's the Web site: http://www.steakandbjday.com/

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Doc and I do small gifts, though, this year, we're probably going to buy a bed and/or couch this week, so that will suffice as my Valentine's Day.

I have things I need, but they're things I would have bought anyway, so I don't want him to feel obligated to buy me something I needed anyway.

The bed and/or couch are things I've wanted for a long time and we finally can afford them.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Where is Lugnuts?! Time for our annual 'There is no such thing as a great massage without reciprocation' debate!

Option 1: If he really wants to do something nice, he should give a great massage without expectation of payback. Just close your eyes and drift to sleep, because all he wants is to make you happy.

Option 2: If he really wants to do something nice, he should give a great massage that lights you up like a freakin fireworks extravaganza, whereby you reciprocate so intensely no one drifts to sleep for two days.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd like number 2, please!

Draft saved Draft deleted