1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valentine's Day, ugh!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 11, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Mrs. T's birthday is exactly a week before Valentine's Day. Too much shopping in heavy heating bill time of year.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know my Uncle Joe? He did the same thing for birthdays and Christmas, too. Only I don't think he got back with them after those days. But he sure did save a couple pennies.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nope, I don't know your Uncle. The guys I know rationalize their decision by saying, "I spent money at Christmas and New Year's. I'm going to have to spend money on their birthday and our anniversary. So Valentine's can screw off. Besides, I can use that cash on me."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good idea. I'm gonna buy myself a big, heart-shaped box of chocolates and a dozen roses.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Maybe you can get yourself something sexy from Victoria's Secret too.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm probably in the minority of the dude population, and I already handed over my Man Card when I said I watch Legally Blonde every time when it's on television, so you can't have it again. I used to love Valentine's Day, still do to a degree.

I always considered myself a good boyfriend -- the women I dated obviously didn't at some point -- but I made sure they knew how I felt often, in words, gifts, actions. But Valentine's Day was different. I wanted to made them feel especially special. I told the first one I loved her on our first one, then she got jewelry -- an Irish wedding ring (which I still looks weird on Italians) and a gold bracelet the next -- with a dozen red roses and dinner each time. I wrote the next one a story of how we met and how my life has changed because of it, made her a CD of songs that reminded me of her, a dozen pink roses (her favorite) and dinner at an amazing, but not expensive, Italian place -- not everything's for the girl, I guess. ...

The first year I was single, I felt bad in a way and had extra money, so I bought all nine women on my newspaper staff -- I was the EIC and decided to work during that week and not schedule our semester bye week on it -- roses and laid them on their desks early in the morning before they got into the office.

I just like making someone happy on that day. Sure, they might expect me to get them something, but it doesn't mean they don't smile. So a lot of it's for me, I guess. Call me a selfish fuck, but I like to make the woman in my life happy. And now that I'm on Sarah Silverman's "Do-not-come-within-500-miles-of-me" list, I'll have to find someone else to send my autographed underwear. Any takers?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Like a clerk.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm gladly single. I find Valentine's Day to be a bigger humbug than Scrooge found Christmas to be.

I liked your story, Mike. Sounds like a girl would be lucky to have you as her boyfriend. Seriously.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

VDay I don't spend a lot of money. Last year I burned a CD, wrote a poem and framed it and bought him a book. I thought it was a nice package.

This year, I also went small, but thoughtful. He hasn't opened it yet, so I can't post it here.

I've told him it's not the money. If he gets me a card or sends me a hand-written note, that's all I need.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well ... that's a good thought. Who hasn't had an eye on a VS clerk? A few years ago in school, I had a semester-long group project with one. She was cute, but I think she had a drug problem.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Was she hooked on BAM?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy's birthday falls between Christmas and Valentine's Day so shopping is tough. Usually, I get her a diamond somethin for one of them. Not expected to, I just do.
    But for her birthday, she got Bonjovi tickets for an April concert in Nashville (fuck you Ticketmaster rapists). That's her diamond and she couldn't be happier.

Draft saved Draft deleted