1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valentine's Day, ugh!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC bought me a really nice pair of windshield wipers one year.

Tres romantique.

Buy your flowers on Feb 15. Just tell her you're celebrating Canadian Valentine's Day.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I write this every year on a thread similar to this, and I'll continue writing, especially as the wife's law-school loans are about to come calling...

I am willing, for a small fee, to rent out my wife for a day. The gist is this: She'll spend time with your wife, girlfriend, whatever, and by the end of that time, I promise you she'll never bug you about gifts for Valentine's again. Ever. Full money-back guarantee.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We were at an antique mall last week and Mrs. Flip found a vintage tablecloth (she collects them) and said that would be her Valentine's gift, which was fine with me. I did order for her, however, a thong imprinted with the words "I Love (my real name)." We found it online one night when we Googled my name. It was really funny.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have been that guy before. But now, we both agree that it's better to just save the money and get something for the house, or take a vaction or you know, pay for something really important...like tuition. :)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So Mrs. Ace's ipod is dead. Should I buy here a new one for Valentine's Day (she'll buy one anyway) or is that too much of an "appliance" to be a Valentine's gift.

I guess I could name a star after her. The commercial says that is the hottest gift going.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I getcha Rosie. But until he marries me, I want my presents. :D

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

WTF?!!?!?! Where've I been?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An appliance is a vacuum. A new iPod is a great gift...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great. She never let me forget that breadbox.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know guys who break up with their girlfriends before Valentine's Day because they don't want to shell out for gifts. After VD, they get back together with their ex.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The wife of an old pal of mine used to sell Mary Kay, and she'd meet her sales goals for the year by going to a truck stop on Christmas Eve and the night before Valentine's Day. Work smart!

It's tough on Mrs. Novelist (no monkeying with the quote function here folks!) because our anniversary is Jan. 6 and her birthday is Jan. 26, so three major events in the span of a month. By the time Feb. 14 comes around, the gift-buying well is running a little low. But I'll come up with something.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time drumming up sympathy for people in relationships who are annoyed by Valentine's Day. It could be worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted