1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valentine's Day, ugh!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, I just don't get it.

Maybe it's the overabundance of commercials demanding we purchase that perfect gift for our loved one, mostly messages targeted at the guys.

But can we please let Valentine's Day sink into the sunset? I already have a special day for my honey and me to proclaim our love for each other. It's called our wedding anniversary.

And as much as I love teddy bears, if Mr. Rosie spent over $50 for a teddy bear (yes, I've seen that stupid commercial too many times already this morning), I would not be happy with him.

I'm sick of the commercials, I'm sick of the manufactured pressure to purchase the biggest, most expensive gift. Make it go away.

Rant over.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The older I get, the more women I meet who share your views on this manufactured 'holiday', Rosie. The woman I'm currently seeing will beat me over the head with a cactus if I buy her flowers or candy for Valentine's Day....

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My wife says I don't have to get her an expensive gift on Valentine's Day.

The woman I dated before I met my wife was the exact opposite. Gave me all sorts of shit if I forgot to get her a gift or card for that manufactured holiday (that apparently only exists in some parts of the country) called "Sweethearts Day"

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have to be one of the luckiest husbands around. The Mrs. is making dinner the other night and one of them valentines commercials comes on. She says to me that I better not be thinking of doing something for her for valentines day. We have always felt in our house that the money for that could be better spent elsewhere. Few minutes later she says to me "I don';t even want a card...it'll cost about 4 bucks and i'll just end up throwing it away".

I am off the hook.

Luckiest husband around, although it sounds like Mr. Rosie might be pretty lucky too.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I asked Queencreole what she wanted for Valentine's Day, and she said a gift card to Lowe's would do (she's renovating the kitchen).

I'm nervous as fuck. Is this legit ... or is she testing me? I think she was serious, but I guess I should throw in some roses to be safe.

I hate this fucking holiday.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

THAT is the biggest bullshit day ever created.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Never heard of Sweethearts Day ... must be a Murrican thing.

I'm with Rosie, albeit without a Mr.

Could you, instead, just be nice to me on a daily basis, rather than having a special day in February set aside for you to be extra, extra nice to me? That would be terrific, thanks.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

My wife pretty much falls in that camp, too. Not a lot of pomp around Valentine's day. She really prefers no gifts, Hallmark cards, etc.

She will get flowers, though, even though she tells me not to--have pretty much done this every year. And despite her direction for me not to get them, I do think she rather enjoys them....

And in lieu of a card, I prefer to compose a handwritten note. More personal than handing her the sentiments composed by a Hallmark employee in their cubicle that I've slapped my signature on.

And if you're ever looking for an amusing time, stop in your local grocery or drug store around 5-6pm on either Valentine's Day or Christmas Eve to watch the hordes of guys scrambling to find something for a gift on their way home.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There is always Steak and BJ Day.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Ha ha, I really noticed those guys on Christmas Eve for some reason ... they crack me up.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of the holiday either, but it's really not that big a deal...

Flowers
    Perfume
    Dinner
    Card

It's not that fucking hard...

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's why I fully support Steak and BJ Day. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted