1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vaccine for HIV?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it's a "conspiracy"

I just think he has access to something that regular people do not. That's the case with a lot of sick people who happen to be rich/famous.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is implausible to me that he has access to anything we aren't aware of. There is too much attention on AIDS research and too many journals covering it and too many scientists hoping to make a name for themselves through it. Why would they stay silent? The incentives just don't line up.

3. Mizzougrad96

Do you have any idea how many people who are dying of cancer or have alzheimers or some other disease travel to Europe or Mexico or Russia to get treatments that aren't approved here?

It's not uncommon at all. People figure they have nothing to lose and if they have the resources, they use them.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mercury had full blown AIDS. It was discovered late. That was also 20 years ago.

5. Dick Whitman

But we know about those treatments. They have been written about in journals. They have been peer-reviewed, some of them. But we know about them. I grant you that other countries have a less strenuous approval process than we do for new drugs. The Magic Johnson theory to me seems to be that he has been receiving some clandestine, under-the-radar miracle HIV treatment. And I don't buy it.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It would never get passed for use here -as much as the closeted gay family values Republicans wouild want it for their own kids and other gay youngsters in this world, they wouldn't be able to vote for it because they'd lose votes from their constituents, all of whom believe they are truly "family values" politicians.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He has access due to his wealth to care most people do not. There is no conspiracy in that.

Or it's sleeping with $180,000 in cash every night.

And a lot of people here know we are referencing South Park, right?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not as crazy as it sounds.

It could also be more profitable to treat it than cure it.

9. Mizzougrad96

There's probably an element of truth to that. I don't think finding a cure for AIDS is even remotely close to being a top priority for medical researchers.

I think, unless you're a gay male, very few people worry about getting AIDS the way they did 20-25 years ago.

It's pretty sad that it would be a lower priority because of this, but sadly, that's probably the case...

10. Dick Whitman

It's the market at work. The biggest demand is in Africa, where there's no money to pay for those drugs.

I guess it's sad. But I also know which way you are pulling your lever next November. And this kind of thing is the collateral damage to unyielding belief in unfettered markets. Drug companies are not charities nor should they be expected to be any more than any other for-profit industry.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

"They ain't curing AIDS. ... There ain't no money in the cure. The money's in the medicine."

12. Mizzougrad96

I'd like to know how voting one way or another will have any impact on whether there is a vaccine for HIV.

Draft saved Draft deleted