1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VaccinateGate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 29, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That (and LTL's response) answers my question nicely. And, for the record, I believe anti-vaxxers are completely nuts. In a just world, anti-vaxxers get the measles and become sterile.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You're overestimating the intelligence of the average person.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think this may be the one issue thatt all here would agree on. Well this and the death penalty.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't know who on here would be on the other side of this one. Maybe Smallpotatoes' friend.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

LTL's earlier stats show that anti-vaccination can be the domain of the educated, but if you believe this nonsense is the right thing to do, you can't call yourself educated. The reality is that there are a lot of ignorants putting their children and others at risk unnecessarily.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This brings up an interesting point. In the various circles I am a part of, and they are varying in socioeconomic stature, everyone acknowledges how idiotic it is to not vaccinate children. However, there still large numbers of these people who continue to pass on vaccinations for their kids.

I guess my question is, who are these people? Other than batshit Jenny McCarthy, I can't think of one well-known person who admits it openly.

EDIT: Look at that, a handy list of idiots
    Meet Hollywood’s Awful Anti-Vaxx All-Stars - The Daily Beast

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is a demonstration from Penn and Teller that pretty well illustrates—if not forcefully illustrates—why it's a bad idea and a foolish argument to not vaccinate.

Chalk it up to "First World Problems" but it seems too many "educated" people these days seem to gloss over the fact that it really wasn't that long ago that diseases we have since eliminated/nearly eliminated were ravaging children. I for one really don't want polio and I wish the anti-vaxxers would respect that wish.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Hollywood Reporter had a great story last year about the unbelievably high rates of Personal Belief Exemptions at wealthy private schools in the L.A. area -- essentially where Hollywood bigwigs all send their kids.

Los Angeles Vaccination Rates 2014

Reading that made me realize why Jenny McCarthy continues to find work and find a platform for this. All those fuckheads are in agreement with her.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Waldorf Schools are magnets for anti-vaxxers, right? Fucking idiots indeed. I have a family member who is mildly anti-vaccine. Or was. We haven't talked about it in a long time because I don't want to know if she still is.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would be really curious if the people who won't get their kids vaccinated have the same mentality with getting their pets all the recommended shots.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Nucking futs to not get your kids vaccinated. No reason whatsoever to expect your kids to be admitted to "society" without the shots, because I certainly don't want my precious angel exposed to your teeming masses of human petri dishes. By the way -- FU Jenny McDumbass.

Draft saved Draft deleted