1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vacation help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, May 8, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Hey guys,

I'm out here on the west coast and I'm in dire need of a relaxing vacation. I have a ton of time coming up and I've been doing some thinking. I want to take a cruise. Now, I've never been one to travel much and, when I have, I've usually had the arrangements done for me in advance.
    So, I wanted to know a few things to any of you who've ever been on a cruise, or know someone who has:

1) Where's a good destination? I'm thinkin somewhere near Mexico, but I'm open to anything. Also, time is not an issue.
    2) What cruise liner should I go with? Do I book the tickets through them, or a travel agent? Like I said, I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff.
    3) I'm just lookin to go with a couple of buddies, spending most of my time on the boat, lyin out by the pool, reading a book and being waited on like I was King.

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
  2. JR

JR Active Member

I don't know how hold you are but if you and your buddies are under 30, you might be the youngest people on the cruise if you're not careful.

If you're on the west coast, why don't you take a road trip?

Maybe up to Alaska--if time is not a factor.

If you're dead set on a cruise, maybe see a travel agent.
  3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

We're mid-30s ... basically looking to do something where I don't have to do ANYTHING. Plus, I love the ocean. Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In light of this post, I think you should change your first name.

Never been on a cruise but most folks rave about them. Even those under 80.

I don't think it matters a whole hell of a lot where you are going if you are talking islands or Mexico, though.
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What I learned on my first cruise was not to skimp on the room. I know, you may not be spending a whole lot of time there, but literally, either my wife or I had to stand on the bed in order for the other one to pass if one of us wanted to go to the other side of the room. Also, it sucks if you have an inside room and you're looking at four walls all the time.

The second time, we upgraded to a outside room with a balcony and a hot tub. It made all the difference in the world.

I've always wanted to go through the Panama Canal. I'd be interested from others who've done that whether it's worth it.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife and I were about the youngest people on our cruise in January and we're 34 and 33. It was amusing.

that said, I've never had a more relaxing time. Or a more fattening time, for that matter. :D
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want to take a poker cruise.
  9. joe

joe Active Member

I believe gambling is legal -- and encouraged -- on almost all cruises because their ships are registered out of the Caymans or Mexico or whatever.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Gambling is definiltey legal on the water, but they actually run specialized poker cruises - travel packages aimed at players.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

See if you can find some bands you like that do one of those rock boat cruises. That always sounded fun to me.
  12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, as a veteran of eight cruises, I'll offer this advice. Do not take Holland America. You will be the youngest folks on the cruise by a lot. Holland America is what my friend described as a floating nursing home.

I'm partial to Royal Caribbean. The best ships and great destinations.

The best cruises for my money are out of Florida to islands in the Caribbean. With ships such as the Freedom of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas, you get great ports but you also have a ship that itself is a destination.

Coming from the West Coast, Tripp, you may want to sail out of San Diego or LA, but I can't really tell you much about those itineraries. I do know that Norwegian Cruise Lines does some cruises to Hawaii out of the West Coast.

Good luck and enjoy.
Draft saved Draft deleted