1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vacation alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anybody ever taken a vacation alone? I'm considering it. Any thoughts on the matter, or things to consider?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wish there was an easy way to combine "alone time" with a traditional vacation.

Heading up to DC late this spring to renew a passport. Some museums I would love to see just hold no interest for her. And some she would like hold little interest for me.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know a guy who goes on cruises along all the time. Seems to really like it.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to ClubMed in my late 20's, Cancun, a resort focused on "singles." It wasn't all out s*x in the hot tub. What was amazing was that with over 600 singles, most everyone was open to talking to a stranger and the resort made everyone sit at 10 person circular tables so you met new people every meal. Just having everyone let their guard down made everything stress free. There were people from Europe, Canada, East Coast, West Coast, Midwest. I had a blast.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Webby to the bat phone ... he loves doing this.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless you count driving cross country alone, I've never done this.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've gone with Mrs. Ace on some of her work trips. That was great. Go a day or two early and do stuff together then have a couple days to tour stuff solo during the day while she's conventioning.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've done a three-day trip by myself. Had a blast mountain biking and hiking in Moab, Utah, and had fun meeting people at a few of the breweries at night. Not sure I'd want to go on a week-long jaunt by myself. I guess it would depend on where I was going.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've never done an entire vacation alone, but I visited a friend in New York two summers ago and had to spend the days traveling the city by myself. My friend was at work. Wasn't bad though. Had an airport shuttle take me to a hotel, had my luggage kept in a luggage storage place and just walked around the city all day. It was pretty cool.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

All my vacations since high school have been solo. There are good points — no waiting up for people, you can change your schedule on the fly, you don't have to feel guilty about getting annoyed with your travel partner(s) during the flight/drive, etc. — but traveling with companions has its good points, too. At the very least, you'll have more people in your photos.

If you're the outgoing type, you probably won't have too much trouble finding fellow travelers, especially if you're going to a traditional 'vacation' spot. I can't think of anything extra you need to do for a solo vacation, other than make sure you're organized (passport, flight plan, shots, health insurance, etc.) and — if you're going abroad — learn a few pick-up lines in the native tongue.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did you clean up?

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

you are going to get so much ass, we're talkin boy band ass here ...

Draft saved Draft deleted