1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va Tech Shooter sends "images, letter" to NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

the subtlety of that made me howl.
    well done

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Anyone?

(That first graph is straight from the MSNBC.com story)

3. JackS

JackS Member

Disagree completely. Basically, all Williams did was concede in a somber tone that the materials were of a sensitive nature, and then "it was off to the videotape exclusive! Woo-hoo!"

No defense of Steve Capus from me in this thread. I'm thrilled not to be an NBC employee tonight. Shameful. Bad enough to hear all the "deadliest shooting in U.S. history" hype over the last few days, now we've got NBC advertising to every potential mass murderer, "We'll broadcast your manifesto!"

Beautiful.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I blame the Zodiac Killer and the Unabomber.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have no problem with how NBC has handled this so far.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

NBC News: Recommended by four out of five sociopaths.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

NBC News: your home for wackos and the NHL!

Seriously though, This really is a movie script when you stop to think about it. We have a kid that was called "the question mark kid" because he never said anything to anyone. He goes on a kill crazy rampage, leaving a bunch of question marks for friends and family, only to answer those in a suicide note left in his dorm and in a video and letter (I refuse to play their game and say "Manifesto). So not only does the kid who never said shit get the last word, he got about five days worth of newspapers full of em.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They made copies.

Jack, curious how you'd have handled it differently.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Then they didn't immediately forward the materials to the FBI, and they shouldn't claim to have.

10. JackS

JackS Member

Probably show a picture or two and then maybe have Williams read a line or two from his text, and that's it.

Just enough to give an idea of the contents, but not give whackos a woody. Definitely NO VIDEO.

But that's probably why I'm not a network news executive.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, Johnny, immediately is a relative term in this case, although you probably won't agree.

Whatever you think about what they're doing with them, they had to make copies.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Right now, does the public have a need and/or right to see this stuff? What purpose is served? What if you lost someone to his actions? What does this teach other potential killers? How was the Columbine stuff handled?

Draft saved Draft deleted