1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va. Tech reaches settlement with families of slain students

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 10, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the survivors and the family members of the Holocaust have been offered compensation for what happened in the 1940s.

This makes me feel even more uneasy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/619896.stm

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1206632369983&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think I was clear there ... I was saying one could argue airlines should not have allowed box cutters or other objects that could be used as weapons on board.

I'm not making an argument for or against such a contention. I'm simply saying that an argument can be made for why the airlines are responsible and, therefore, a lawsuit against the airlines isn't just a cash grab, it's a punitive thing.

I don't see how the state of Virginia is responsible for the actions of this particular psycho.

3. People should go back and study the doctrine of in loco parentis and then come back and tell these folks how greedy they are.
    Jesus H. Christ.
    And I believe poin is correct on the IRS.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Suing the school?

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think ya'll are crazy.
    I have a kid in college. One of the things I feel I'm buying with the ridiculous sum of money I pay that college is safety and security for my kid, while he is on that campus. Va. Tech very definitely erred in not shutting down the campus and canceling classes after the first shooting. Whether they erred in not figuring out that the murderer was a nut case before this happend is a stickier issue, but not beyond the pale.
    You bet your ass the school owes these people some money. A "cash grab"?? Only if you somehow knew your kid was going to get killed and willingly put him or her in the line of fire.
    I don't think $11 million is really enough. I don't give a shit who pays it -- the alums who bankroll the football program could come up with $11 million by Sunday if it was going toward a new weight room.

6. Research the doctrine and get back to me.
    What 'puller said.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just read King of Torts, and if what is said in that book is remotely true, the victims never receive their fair share in tort litigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort

8. bigpern23

The real world is not a safe place. Welcome to it.

Would you care to elaborate? I'm guessing I'm not the only unfamiliar with the doctrine. If you're interested in some discussion, that will help move it along.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

well put.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We've been down this road before and I'll try to say this calmly.
    How do you "shut down" a campus were 20-some thousand live and about 40,000 live and work? The havoc started once this guy pulled the trigger the first time. If you cancel classes, he goes somewhere else and shoots. The numbers may change (they may go up). The faces may change. The end result does not.
    The key to stopping this was figuring out he was a danger before he started firing and that's very difficult. The law tied Virginia Tech's hands badly and that's what many in the state are trying to change - what can be revealed? And the gun laws. Oy. Close the gun show loophole!

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Well, Mod, I would say they eventually did shut down the campus, however unwieldy a task that proved to be. I think it's just about impossible to overreact to a fatal shooting on your campus and no suspect in custody -- flood the place with cops, get a helicopter in the air, whatever. That silly theory they grabbed onto about a domestic disturbance, to justify not going full red alert, had no basis in fact whatsoever and was a huge mistake, that I feel would be impossible to defend in court.
    But my main quarrel is with Big Pern, whom I hope is not serious.
    "The real world is not a safe place. Welcome to it." ??
    Nice. Maybe they can inscribe that on the memorial to the victims. I sure hope nothing ever happens to anyone close to you, that causes you to reflect on those words.

12. bigpern23

I was quite serious when I said that. There are things that have happened to my loved ones and they were awful and put my family through an helluva lot of pain. But you know what? It's a dangerous world and you can't be completely safe at all times. We chose to deal with the pain and move on instead of trying to lay blame on someone who wasn't responsible and suing them for not having a crystal ball.

If you think your tuition dollars are "buying safety," you're ridiculously naive.

Draft saved Draft deleted