1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va. Tech reaches settlement with families of slain students

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 10, 2008.

1. $11 million not to sue.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB120785370299905489.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

ROANOKE, Va. -- Most families of victims of the mass shootings at Virginia Tech have agreed to an $11 million state settlement that will compensate families who lost loved ones, pay survivors' medical costs and avoid a court battle over whether anyone besides the gunman was to blame.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Thursday a "substantial majority" of families of victims of the Virginia Tech shootings agreed to the settlement.

Peter Grenier and Douglas Fierberg, who represent 21 families, said the settlement was worth more than $11 million, but neither they nor the governor would discuss its terms until final papers are drawn in a few days.

Messrs. Grenier and Fierberg said seriously injured victims "will be well compensated and have their health care needs taken care of forever," and that families who lost loved ones would be "similarly compensated and cared for."

"We want to make sure the settlement is fiscally responsible for the commonwealth," Mr. Kaine said, "but it's kind of a fair balance of a variety of interests." He called the agreement "very positive," but noted that families who have not agreed to it still could file suit. Notice must be filed by April 16.

Seung-Hui Cho, a mentally disturbed student, killed 32 victims and wounded two dozen others at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007, before committing suicide. Twenty-two families had previously filed notice with the state that they may sue.

Mr. Cho killed two people in a dormitory, then killed 30 more than two hours later in a classroom building before taking his own life. University officials have been criticized for waiting about two hours before informing students and employees about the first shootings, which police initially thought were an act of domestic violence.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Who else could be blamed for that? Holy geez ...

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm sorry, but maybe it's just me who thinks that the response, "Hmm...my kid was killed at school, I'll sue the university" is the inappropriate one here.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is sort of off-topic, but I hate the use of the word "slain" when it comes to people. They're not freakin' dragons, for God's sake ...

5. Tough.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That money can go to some serious good use -- gun control, alarm systems, prevention measures at the school. My hope would be that none of those families were simply trying to get rich.
    From the profiles of the families I've read (admittedly don't know any of them) that's not what they were going for.
    Just another reminder of how vulnerable everyone who's ever been on a college campus truly is.
    Again, RIP.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

$11 million divided among 32 families and 24 victims isn't going to make anybody rich after the IRS and the lawyers take their cuts. Each family/victim will wind up with about $60,000 each if they're lucky.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They might not be trying to get rich, but they basically just put a pricetag on what their kids' lives were worth.

This stuff, along with the fund-raisers for the victims' families really bother me. It's not like raising money for Katrina victims. These people suffered a terrible loss to be sure, but not one that requires them to receive any money.

I have no problem with the university footing the medical bills for the survivors. I could even see it paying funeral costs (although most were probably covered under their parents' life insurance, right?). Anything beyond that is profiting off your kid's death and that's pretty sick.

I hope the $60,000 or whatever each one ends up with is enough salve to mend their broken hearts.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the IRS doesn't touch that money.

$11 mil divided by the 24 decedents' 'families' is $458,333 each. Take even half for the attorneys is $230 grand resulting.

I don't understand, except for pure profit, why they sued. It's ugly - very ugly. For shame.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

24?
    32 were killed, 19 were wounded.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read the number from aqb's post.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think he meant the 32 killed and others wounded, which I thought was 19 (49 affected). It works out to about 100,000 per family of the deceased. They also got 208,000 earlier from the division of the funds collected by the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund.

Why do they need 308,000? Who knows? I'm sure there are a variety of reasons. I can't imagine being in their position. It affected my kids badly so I just can't fathom what it did to them. I'm not about to question it, or their motives. Perhaps that is sticking my head in the sand. I'll live with that. And that isn't a knock on those who are questioning this. It is simply the view from here.

Draft saved Draft deleted