1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

V For Vendetta isn't the movie to have on in the background ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

... while doing a second-day story in the hotel.

I've never seen it before and it's one WTF? moment after another since I'm not paying complete attention. I vaguely knew what the jist was going in, but that hasn't made the narrarive any less confusing.

Am I missing something? Is Natalie Portman there merely for eye-candy purposes? Is her shaved-head incarnation some secret tribute to Ewan McGregor from Trainspotting? Or Persis Khambatta from the horrid first Star Trek movie?

And V? First off, fuck you, the only "V" is recognize are 1980s NBC mini-series space aliens bent on eating us.

Secondly, if I were going to take on some enigmatic persona, I wouldn't choose to look vaguely like the Hamburgler and Count from Sesame Street's spawn. Especially if I were a British wanker like yourself. I'd go for the Prisoner look or maybe an ironic tribute to Space 1999.

Finally, V, I don't care about your backstory. It distracts from the point, which I think, is that evil, Orwellian governments suck. Thanks for the high sign, Dr. Obvious.

Of course I could be wrong, I was either busy working on my lede or imagining Grimace bitch-slapping V for stealing his Quarter Pounder.

Oh gee. The British Parliament just blew up. Is this a Johnny Rotten wet dream?

Nope they're playing the Stones' Street Fighting Man over the final credits. O-B-V-I-O-U-S. At least play the version off Get Your Ya Ya's Out, it fucking rocks.

Clearly, I should probably watch this movie again. Or should I?

Brit movies were so much better when they were on H in the 90s. Pulp weeps.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I found it interesting the first five times I watched it... it wears in you, but it's still a decent movie.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The last British movie I saw (besides Trainspotting, The Full Monty and 28 Days Later) was The Lawnmower Man.

Pierce Brosnan doing a fake American accent was worse than Kevin Costner doing his fake Brit. (Add: At least Costner gave it up halfway through Robin Hood.)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jeebus, BYH.. it's got a chick-on-chick scene.. what else do you want...

5. I've only seen it once, but I thought it was pretty damn good.
    It also includes one of the best lines ever.
    "People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people."

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was good, but it is bad to try and keep up with when otherwise occupied.

The other thing? Seeing John Hurt on a TV screen constantly harkened me back to Osterman Weekend ... not a good thing.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll watch anything with Natalie Portman in it.
    That's all I have to say.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a Brit movie. It was made by the Wachowski's (of "The Matrix" fame), who are both polish and were born in Chicago.

True, it was based on the Alan Moore graphic novel, but I wouldn't call "Letters from Iwo Jima," which was based on "Picture Letters from Commander in Chief" by General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, a Japanese movie, either.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Awesome.

V For vendetta = Eh. Nothing special. Was great to watch the critics froth over it and act like it was a metaphor for Bush's America, when it was written decades ago.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

V for Vendetta is fucking brilliant. The ifght scene at the end is artwork.

Great movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted