1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW-Whitewater coach bans student reporters from interviewing coaches, players

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gutter, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: UW-Whitewater coach bans student reporters from interviewing coaches, player

See? You put a Democrat in the White House and boom! A Whitewater scandal.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Paul Plinske, the AD, is one of the good guys in sports administration.

http://www.gundluth.org/?id=1130&sid=1

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Is it really? I'm thinking it might have been one of those "apologize or you're fired" deals.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

They are classic control freaks, and many of them really think they have such influence.

5. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Wow.

I've dealt with Lance Leipold in doing some features on his team before, and he's been nothing but extremely helpful and talkative. Of course, probably because I wasn't a mere "student reporter" and I didn't write a column he didn't like.

Pretty bad behavior by Leipold here. I think sometimes college coaches think that the school newspaper is there to be a PR machine. Wasn't it a student reporter that Geno Auriemma blew up at recently? Glad to see that the student editors at this paper didn't back down and ran a nice follow-up story about how Leipold said he wouldn't let them have anymore access to the football team. They pretty much took him to task and embarrassed him for doing something stupid. And the AD clearly got the message.

Student reporters shouldn't take shit, and they damn well aren't a school's PR machine. That said, Leipold has always come off as a great guy to me, so I'm not gonna call him an asshole. He just clearly lost his cool.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: UW-Whitewater coach bans student reporters from interviewing coaches, player

he better not mess with this soccer coach.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Solid, man. Just solid.

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Dude, you've made a mistake with that post. You should take it down now.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Concur.

Seriously, man. For the good of the order, take it down.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not smart, dude. Not smart at all.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I buy that. It's more likely the economy will keep him from getting hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted