1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW-Whitewater coach bans student reporters from interviewing coaches, players

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gutter, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Woody Hayes must be smiling. Did he ever allow reporters to talk to his players or assistants? Even Lou Holtz?

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Sanity prevails.

3. I give the AD credit for stepping up. He quickly realized his coach was in the wrong, said so publicly and got it settled fast. I'm guessing the soccer coach isn't feeling so charitable though after his program was trashed in passing.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

"The door is shut," Leipold said. "Go cover soccer, I have [head coach] Greg Henschel's number, I'm sure that will be fun."

Thought it bore repeating. I can't believe a coach this accomplished can be this stupid.

5. The Royal Purple?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What a supreme asshole.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm glad they specified the apology was sincere.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Nice to see the administration bring the hammer down. Football coaches are prone to such outbursts, even good ones. It keeps things entertaining for writers if nothing else.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

How is this different form what all the big-time, paranoid asshat football coaches do anyway?

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The fact that a football coach threatened to cut off access to the student newspaper is not that shocking, but I was really surprised at how brazen he was about it, and that he seemed to think this wouldn't come back to bite him in the ass.

Oh, yeah, and the condescending crack at another sports program wasn't too swift, either.

I looked up his bio, and I figure he's in his mid-40s right now and with his success on the field might be able to move up the ranks a little. He's a UW-Whitewater alum, and he might not have any interest in moving up, but if he harbors any kind of thoughts of getting a Division I job someday, he'd better solicit some PR lessons from his SID, AD and any kind of professional nearby, because I don't believe the way he handled it is gonna fly at a bigger school.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a big-time college football coach who berated a then-student, now fairly well-known female columnist and said, "If you screw up again, I'll make sure you're demoted to the tennis beat."

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I thought he was apologizing to some Prince cover band at first ...

Draft saved Draft deleted