1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW-Whitewater coach bans student reporters from interviewing coaches, players

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gutter, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... over an editorial that called out three football players who refused to show their student IDs at the campus gym.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/43539347.html
    http://media.www.royalpurplenews.com/media/storage/paper1225/news/2009/04/22/News/Football.Coach.Bans.Royal.Purple.From.Covering.Team-3722714.shtml

Said editorial in question: http://media.www.royalpurplenews.com/media/storage/paper1225/news/2009/04/22/Opinion/Spoiled.Athletes.Need.Reality.Check-3719541.shtml

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

[blue]Hey, when you are champs or runners-up for the last few years, you can do whatever the fuck you want.[/blue]

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Only in the WIAC.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

"Go cover soccer."

That's great. Not only is the coach alienating the reporting community, he's pissing off his peers.

How about go cover Division I sports? Does this guy realize he's at a fucking DIII school?

5. jps

jps Active Member

hey, you only cover us when we ... oh, never mind.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Never had an issue with Leipold. Fairly surprised at this. Hmmm.

It's still Dee Three. Dee Three.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Uh, coach? The SID called. He wants his dick back. Ya, the one you ripped off of him.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Judging from the comments from the students, most of them realize that the coach is being a dick, which is a pleasant surprise. I thought there might be a lot of "you're just jealous / you probably never even played sports" attitude aimed at the writer.

9. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I thought this was the best quote from the story:

"This is [expletive deleted] bullshit," Leipold said. "It's going to be a bitch to try to cover football next season."

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I laughed my ass off when I read that line.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

"Coach Leipold declined to be interviewed for this story."

He'd better hope all his players' grades are good, and everyone on the team stays out of trouble ...

12. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Well this was a quick change of heart:

Poynter Forums
    View Forum Post
    Topic: Miscellaneous items
    Date/Time: 4/23/2009 12:16:07 PM
    Title: Football coach apologizes for student journo ban
    Posted By: Jim Romenesko

Press release

April 23, 2009

Athletic Director
    (262) 472-4661

Statement concerning actions by Warhawk football coach

WHITEWATER – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater head football coach Lance Leipold apologized to the Royal Purple, the campus newspaper, for his use of inappropriate language to a reporter and his banning of the newspaper from covering the team. Leipold promises to cooperate with the Royal Purple in the future.

In an email to the Royal Purple reporter, Leipold offered his sincere apology for his behavior, especially his use of inappropriate language. He acknowledged that the reporter, the UW-Whitewater campus community and alumni expect and deserve better from the head football coach of a nationally recognized football program. He also agreed to meet with the reporter to further discuss the matter.

Athletic Director Paul Plinske said Leipold’s behavior was unacceptable. Plinske expects all of his coaches to behave in a professional manner both on and off the field. “I am disappointed that Coach Leipold responded in this manner,” Plinske said. “This is by no means a reflection on Warhawk Athletics. Instead, it is an instance where an excellent coach allowed his passion for the program and his team to get the best of him. Coach Leipold knows his behavior was unacceptable.”

Chancellor Richard Telfer supports Plinske in this matter. Telfer also believes that the relationship between the Warhawk football team and the Royal Purple can be repaired. “Lance Leipold admitted that he behaved poorly and he has apologized. It is my hope that we learn from this situation and move forward," Telfer said. "The Warhawk football program is one of the best in the nation and we want to focus on continuing to improve the program. Coach Leipold understands that the program needs the support of the entire campus community, and that includes the Royal Purple, to be successful. I know we can put this unfortunate situation behind us."

Draft saved Draft deleted