1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW-Mad band flagged for unsportsman-like conduct

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 12, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Here are the "charges"

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=10/12/2006&id=12736

"Members of the University of Wisconsin-Madison marching band participated in semi-nude dancing, engaged in sexualized banter and shaved one band member's head in a hazing incident."

Engaged in sexualized banter?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dick jokes.

Lots and lots of dick jokes.

For instance:

What looks like a bell and sounds like a bell, but isn't a bell?

Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

3. You can always tell someone's not from Wisconsin when the school is referred to as UW-Madison or UW-M (which, in our quaint little state, is actually UW-Milwaukee).
    It's Wisconsin. Or, at the most, the University of Wisconsin. If you're in a hurry, it's UW.

Not that you good folks care, to be sure. I'm just saying.

For daring to correct something so meaningless, I eagerly await your attacks.

Oh, and the Badger band rocks. It just manages to get in trouble like this from time to time. (College kids saying dirty words and drinking alcohol? Gasp!)

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Actually, if you've ever been there, it's Fatconsin ;D

(ohh, here, they, come)

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

Well, damn, I'm so humiliated. I'm not from Wisconsin. You found me out. I'm ashamed and embarrassed.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never been more proud of my home state than I am right now. The UW band is the only band that's worth the price of admission. On Wisconsin!

And here's one of my favorite UW band moments, from 2004 at Lambeau Field ...

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Stanford and Wisconsin, the band-world equivalent of UNLV hoops and SMU football.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You never saw a UVa band member pee on the 50-yard line during a halftime show, have you?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In my college days the band outnumbered the crowd at Scott Stadium. Sonny Randle rocked.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Entirely believable. For a while, that place was more hostile than Clemson. I know ... I should have saved the blood-stained T-shirt after getting hit with something at Death Valley. I did wear it to every game the rest of the year - kind of a badge-of-honor sorta thing.

11. August West

August West Member

After three days of heavy media coverage regarding the UW Marching Band’s alleged misconduct, university administration revealed specific, graphic details of the band’s misbehavior Thursday.

Allegations include a female band member being told to suck on a sex toy in an apparent hazing incident, women forced to kiss each other in order to gain access to bus bathrooms and the practice of women swapping shirts with males headline the list.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wisconsin should fire its band director and shut down the band program for a year. What a bunch of lawless thugs...

Draft saved Draft deleted