1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW-Mad band flagged for unsportsman-like conduct

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 12, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wisconsin band on probation for road trip disharmony
    Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. -- The University of Wisconsin has put its marching band on probation after receiving reports of severe misconduct during a trip to Michigan last month.

The school is not releasing details on what happened during the trip to the Sept. 23 game. But Chancellor John Wiley described it in a letter to the band's director as behavior "that can be seen as anything from boorish and offensive to patently dangerous and unlawful."

Wiley warned in the letter he would consider suspending activities and travel of the band or replacing its leadership if there were more reports of "gratuitous vulgarity, sexualized banter or joking, hazing, or other forms of demeaning conduct."

"I say this, you know, because I do not feel I have a choice: we either solve the problem now, and the band you have built to such legendary proportions survives, or we look at virtual extinction for a significant period of time," Wiley warned in the letter to band director Michael Leckrone.

Casey Nagy, Wiley's top aide, said the behaviors in question violated the band's code of conduct and were repeated despite previous warnings from the administration. He said some of the reports were from the bus trip home from Ann Arbor, Mich.

"If these behaviors recur, they are immediately at risk of losing travel to any postseason competition," Nagy said.

2. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

If I remember correctly, the band didn't go to a postseason event two years ago (I think it was the bowl game) because of crap like this.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

remind me to never send my kids to Band Camp at UW-Madison.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If they were on probation before, are they now on double secret probation?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What else you supposed to do? You're in the BAND. :)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think they get their timpani mallets, drumsticks, flutes, piccolos and clarinets taken away during the actual bus time.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It would be different, hearing the little spuds say "This one time? At band camp? ..." knowing which band camp they went to...

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A dozen years ago, antics by Virginia's band cost them a trip to the then-Hall of Fame Bowl in Tampa. Lee Corso even made a big deal out of it during one of the many advance bowl shows the WWL produces.

Instead, N.C. State went to get stomped by Michigan. :-\

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And most recently, that a Roman toga party was held...

from which we have received two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion...

so profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

"This one time, in band camp..."

[​IMG]

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests. We did. ;)

But you can't hold a whole marching band responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole marching band system? And if the whole marching band system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general?

I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete New Member

My advice to you, is start drinking heavily

Who would have expected UW-Madison students to conduct themselves in such a manner. It is so out of character for the student body.

/classof93stillhungover

Draft saved Draft deleted