1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW Football Beat Writer - Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

Because that's what management allots for us. I mean, really. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that our business has seen a bit of a downturn over the last few months?

The job offers:
    Full benefits, including vacation.
    A weekly paycheck that could be in the ballpark with a lot of the full-time gigs you see posted here.
    Time and opportunity to pick up side work right up the street, if you hustle.
    Zero desk work. Mostly, one quick check-in per week at the office is plenty. (BTW, if this were a full-time gig, it would almost certainly involve two nights a week (plus all summer) spent in the office on write/desk combo shifts. Maybe Sunday and Monday, or Wednesday and Thursday. Because that would make sense for the entire operation.)
    As demonstrated, opportunity to advance (here or elsewhere) if you legitimately rise above the crowd, as our previous person most certainly did.

What sucks about that in 2015?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To quote "Al Gore" on Saturday Night Live, "Well, you don't have to get snippy about it." ;)

All kidding aside, thanks for the explanation. And as far as the downturn goes, try the last few years and then some. I'm in a job now that's considered part-time (with two decades in the business) and I would love to make that full-time, so maybe it's just the cynic in me coming out. But I give plenty of credit because you came right out and explained what was involved with the job.

Good luck with the search!

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What's the weekly paycheck come out to?

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's not even that great in the South. The threads with score updates get a lot of web hits, but not the game stories or player features, unless it's someone being recruited by Big State U.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Unless it is a team with a top recruit, preps coverage doesn't move the online needle much.

Our top digital reads are almost always police blotters and obits.

Our current top 6 is blotter, blotter, crime, preps, preps, blotter but we're coming off state finals week with top recruits involved so that explains the prep presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted