1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA hires Tony Bennett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As mad as I am at Bennett, this comment on the linked story above shows how dumb some readers are:

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's easy to think of the UVa. job as no great shakes, given the generally piss-poor decade they're about to wrap up. But the arena is first-rate, the rest of the facilities are first-rate, they're in a strong area for recruits and they're in the ACC. If Wake Forest and Florida State can craft winners while playing in the local muni arena, a good coach should make the Cavs a player again in a sport other than lacrosse, tennis or cornhole.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's the Richmond paper, so you'd expect some fans to really have wanted the VCU guy there

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Probably getting out while his coaching name is still relatively warm before another "average" season at Wazzu.

Me thinks he's probably having second thoughts not pursuing the Marquette job ... or he's just waiting out Bo Ryan at Wisconsin.

And I also think he turned down Indiana due to bad feelings re: how they treated Kathy Bennett, who was the women's coach there for a few seasons.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Indiana was more messed up - outgoing AD etc. Crean was a better hire anyway.

And as a Pac 10 guy - glad to see him gone. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up with Ken Bone of Portland State or the guy at Utah State.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dan, you mean good ol' Stew Morill of Utah State? Would he be even interested in making a move now, after being at USU for a while now?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stew's only 56, graduated from Gonzaga, and who knows maybe he has a son who he wants to take over a program.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Stuns me how provincial college basketball still is, even in the age of non-stop media. Those in Virginia who think this is a bad hire and those on the other coast who think this is a bad move for Bennett seem to know little about each other.

It's actually a match made in heaven as Virginia obviously needs a different approach to compete in the ACC and the Charlottesville campus is the perfect fit for Bennett, his family and his professorial approach to the game. A really nice move on many fronts for both. If Bennett can win with his style in the Pac-10, he can do it in the ACC.

And as for Bennett leaving before his coaching name cools, that would be a pretty reactionary move on his part considering that his contract included an escalator clause that bumped him by 200k every year he stayed in Pullman, capping at $2 million in base pay in 2013. He wasn't afraid of his stock dropping. He was going to make $6.8 million over the next four years. Me thinks he was set pretty well ... as were his grandchildren's grandchildren.

On Stew Morrill, I can't see it. He is very comfortable where he is and I really doubt he has interest in jumping into this situation. He already has a hand-picked successor in Don Verlin, who is now coaching (and doing well) at Idaho.

Ken Bone is your first offer. He's winning at Portland State, the old school of Wazzu AD Jim Sterk. I don't know if Bone takes it. Maybe you go after Randy Bennett at Saint Mary's, but again, he might decline. Verlin could be an interesting candidate himself, but it would be a reach. Sterk has also shown that he'll pull out a wild card as he did with Dick Bennett.

Mark Fox at Nevada? Dan Monson at Long Beach State?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fox's wife has some big-shot job with the UNR athletic department, I think, and has no reason to give that up for a lateral (at best) move. Monson is interesting; his dad lives in CDA and would probably love to see junior come home.

Still think WSU will hire Bone. There's more upside at WSU than at Portland State, even though the Vikings are winning.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Bone is the absolute nuts here. They get him and feel OK about this whole deal. Didn't both he and Randy Bennett turn down the Beavs a year ago, though? If that's true it makes me wonder if he's not willing to wait for a better job.

On Fox, I agree ... that's just me spit-balling. I am still surprised Tony Bennett didn't at least take a spin around the dance floor with Zona ... though I doubt fans of Tucson's pro team would put up with Bennett Ball.

I'm still calling Jamie Dixon to Arizona and Sean Miller to Pitt, but you gotta love this time of year either way.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Very, very nice hire in Charlottesville. (Sorry, 'Gola! ... understand the frustration, sir. Trust me on this.)

If Craig Littlepage screwed up this hire, he would get thrown out along with the new basketball coach. After the mess with Gillen compounded by the Dave Leitao backfire, his rear end has to be kinda warm by now.

It will be interesting to see if Bennett's deliberate style will work with the program and within the ACC. Worked pretty good for Herb Sendek ...

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the U.Va. fans I've talked to tonight are reminding me of N.C. State fans a few years ago. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted