1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

Here's how it would go at my school ...

2. doctorquant

It does beg credulity, doesn't it?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Educated men.

Bill Clinton is an educated man who needed to get his dick sucked often and went to great lengths to make it happen.

Education and Sex have nothing to do with each other.

The need for Sex makes people do the damnedest things.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This WP article looks back at the 1990 book "Fraternity Gang Rape." It sounds like the book has been generally well-regarded and considered authoritative on the matter. Based on that book, none of the behavior described in the RS article would be out of character in this environment.

“There is a similarity of pattern in these incidents,” Lois G. Forer wrote in the foreword to the landmark 1990 book “Fraternity Gang Rape.” “The men are on their own ‘turf,’ whether it be a part of a park, a shack, or a fraternity house. The identity of the woman is irrelevant. Anyone who happens to be at or near the premises will suffice. All the men drink a great deal of liquor. Then, in the presence of the entire group, each has sex in turn with the female. … While individually they probably would not engage in such brutal or degrading conduct, when reinforced by their companions they exhibit no sense of what most men and women consider decency or compassion.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/24/university-of-virginias-rape-scandal-and-the-fraternity-gang-rape-culture/?tid=hp_mm

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's a difference between "she made most of it up" and "she made it all up."

I don't know what she'd gain -- the student -- by making most of it up. The RS story isn't merely about the viciousness of the crime -- in fact, it switches pretty quickly from that -- and embellishing details (which she would have had to do from the very beginning) wouldn't have been necessary if she'd been raped in a more "plausible" way. Think about it: The point of embellishment would be to create a narrative that was more plausible to believe, not less. In theory a person could, but they'd be dumb to do so under the awning of sexual assault. To make a comparison, it'd be like saying you were cut by a robber's spiked mace when you were really cut by a knife.

The "she made it all up" theory is what it is, but it's worth noting that it creates a mind as diabolical as the act was presumed evil. And by diabolical, I mean somebody willing to carry this out for years, purposely waffling with the dean's office, seeking out support groups, dragging her mom into it, tanking in school, gaining 25 pounds, etc.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

It would require one person, not seven.

And it would require that person to be mentally ill.

This scenario is far more plausible than the other one, that it is true.

7. doctorquant

It's not that I don't believe the young woman, it's that I just have a very, very hard time getting my head around the idea that a handful of reasonably intelligent young men would not only commit such a crime, but would prepare in advance, over an extended period of time, to do it. That's just monstrous stuff.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Then at least you have something more than a red flag suggesting you didn't properly source the article.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nope.

Pretty clear none of ya'll are terribly familiar with the current-day Greek system.

Not only do I believe her story to be true. Her story is one I'm remarkably familiar that happened at another college two time zones away.

That isn't to indict the entire system, but at some schools, what fraternities do and get away with is staggering.

Rape is already violent and degrading. So you can't rape someone violently and degradingly anyway.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Found this on my first Google

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2010/02/26/4404/undetected-rapists-campus-troubling-plague-repeat-offenders

A nearly five year old article, here's an interesting passage

Here's more

http://www.readthehook.com/95992/cover-how-uva-turns-its-back-rape

But, yep, the girl in the Rolling Stone article made it all up because of every woman is like Gone Girl or something.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... because everyone woman is like Gone Girl or something" is a great line for a book or movie.

12. PW2

PW2 Member

The Rolling Stone piece is not at all like "Gone Girl." The dialogue in "Gone Girl" is much more believable.

Draft saved Draft deleted