1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

I chalk that up to some Capote-style storytelling. There is no chance the woman remembered exactly what was said, let alone the reporter confirming it and writing it as if standing there as a witness.

We talk about that theme a lot on here, and this would be a good example of why not to go that route.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

It would be interesting to go back and look at some of this reporter's work over the years, particularly work where she uses anonymous sources to supply a narrative.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. PW2

PW2 Member

5. PW2

PW2 Member

Note that we're also told that the accuser doesn't drink, hates to drink, and that her dress was very unrevealing.

6. LongTimeListener

Phi Psi chapter puts itself on voluntary suspension pending outcome of case.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/phi-kappa-psi-surrenders-fraternal-agreement-with-uva-amid-reactions/article_e7dd1ed2-7101-11e4-8311-ab81f7fa4b40.html

Former federal judge and prosecutor is appointed to investigate Phi Psi -- and then is pulled from the case because he belonged to the same fraternity at the University of Illinois.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/state/uva-s-first-choice-to-investigate-rape-response-scuttled/article_64f0c7dc-719a-11e4-8fda-e3cd36fe598c.html

It appears the UVA community is giving the allegations more credibility than are PW2 and his bros.

7. PW2

PW2 Member

Well, I would hope so.

You have to investigate allegations like that, for sure.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A step further -- UVa suspends all fraternities until Jan. 5.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/uva-suspends-fraternities-following-rolling-stone-campus-rape-investigation-20141122

I read the original story carefully. I somewhat agree that there seemed to be some "license" taken in some of the description. But I have no doubt that there is a real and serious problem here.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The comments point out that, with holiday breaks and finals, that basically, the frats are suspended for two weeks.

Sound like it'll be a real thorough investigation.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not a real big fan of Greek life. But we all know the shitstorm that will ensue if the 18-year-old freshmen lose their main source of weekend alcohol.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I hope no mom and pop liqour stores are irreprebly harmed by this suspension.

12. LongTimeListener

I think it's going to be a very thorough investigation. They're already under the gun with the DOJ, facing the more serious charges. I don't think they can afford a whitewash.

Draft saved Draft deleted