1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

Colleges are built to spend money and, in some cases, to educate.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well. At least this one didn't involve the lacrosse team.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The brutality of the gang rape was startling to me, but sit behind some UVa coeds and eavesdrop at lacrosse or baseball game sometime and the girl's quote wouldn't be so surprising.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

University president announces she will forward the case to Charlottesville PD based on "many details that were previously not disclosed to University officials."

http://wina.com/news/064460-rolling-stone-article-leads-to-uva-rape-investigation/

My oldest son starts college in a few years; I want him to chart his own path, but the more I look at it the more I am thinking one big condition for our financial support will be that he does not join a fraternity.

5. Vombatus

Amen. Probably a wise decision.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

7. Vombatus

Just finished reading the RS story, and that is awful. UVa needs to get its head out of its ass. I thought the men's lacrosse suicide, followed later by the homicide, were bad enough. These sexual assaults just add to the pile. I agree with the earlier post that said this needs to be handled by the Charlottesville polilce, and not by the campus administration and security.

8. PW2

PW2 Member

I had to head to Google to see if the other woman referenced in the story, Emily Renda, actually existed. The writer writes that she was present when the writer was speaking to "Jackie." Otherwise, I would have some doubt that "Jackie" was real, though inventing a gang rape at an identifiable fraternity house would certainly be Stephen Glass-on-steroids-level ballsiness by the writer. Of course, you can't prove a negative, either.

I am interested to see how this turns out, because, as I said, I'm extremely skeptical about the details the woman gave. The comments are so "on-the-nose" that they seem like they would be rejected even by an after-school special on the dangers of fraternity life. There is also the one where a man supposedly says, "Grab its leg." It really feels like buttons are being pushed. People don't talk like this. Sure, they say sexist things, but this reads like a freshman orientation skit about sexual assault by fraternities.

I know that the statistics say that a small percentage of rape accusations are made up - I believe them. On the other hand, we shouldn't forget the Duke lacrosse story too quickly, either.

I feel like I have a pretty decent bullshit meter, and the woman's comments set it off. Even in the worst situations we've heard of - Steubenville, for example - seven people don't stand around offering complete sentence praise for the act of gang rape.

If it all checks out, it checks out. I can take being wrong. But right now, I think people should be cautious about taking the woman's story at face value, until there is some more information.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When you say "the woman's story," do you mean the actual report of the gang rape, or the reporting of the report of the gang rape?

10. PW2

PW2 Member

I meant the alleged victim's story, but the Rolling Stone reporting, as well, now that you mention it.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I should clarify that I do believe the woman was gang-raped. Minor inconsistencies in recollection of what her assailants said are trumped by the substance of her claims.

What I seriously doubt is that "Cindy" told her, while she was standing there bloody and beaten, that she shouldn't report the rape because "she's gonna be the girl who cried 'rape,' and we'll never be allowed into any frat party again." And, that her other "best friends" allowed this plan to come to fruition. Or, that her other dipshit "friend" is no longer friends with her out of loyalty to his frat.

The reporter seems to be trying a little too hard to put Greek life on trial here. And, I'm no fan of frats.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted