1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Eff you, DW ... You ain't got shit on PW2. Quit trolling ...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Two weeks into the 2016 Summer Olympics, 32-year-old Ryan was crushing it in the pool. A chatty, straight-A achiever from Rochester, N.Y., he'd initially been intimidated by the Games' aura of success, where throngs of toned, tanned and overwhelmingly blond swimmers fanned across a landscape of newly constructed tax boondoggles, hurrying to McDonald's, the pool, the bar scene, and all-night fuck sessions with Brazilian synchronized divers; Ryan's orientation leader had warned him that the Olympians' schedules were so packed that "no one has time to date – people just hook up." But despite his reservations, Ryan had flung herself into village life, attending events, joining clubs, making friends and, now, being asked to go to a party with some of his teammates. He and Gunnar had met while working training shifts together at the Olympic training pool, and Ryan had been floored by Gunnar's invitation to dinner, followed by a party with fellow Olympians. Rio, the host city, had a reputation of tremendous crime and corruption, and its imposingly large statute of Jesus overlooked a vast manicured field, giving Rio the undisputed best real estate in South America.

Ryan had taken three hours getting ready, straightening his long, suddenly green hair. He'd congratulated himself on his choice of a tasteful Speedo underneath his street clothes. Now, running into the gas station with Gunnar - or was it a taxi? - Ryan felt nervous. The police lights came on behind Ryan and Gunnar, and ordered them out of the car ...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Start of the thread is good. You have JC telling PW2

"You're naive as hell then." after PW2 doubted it.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was wrong, it happens now and then. Unlike yourself.

5. cjericho

I'm not the one who talks about making others look like a fool.

JC likes this.
  6. cjericho

Complete BS. Never have sent a pm to a mod since I've posted here. Feel free to post more of your bs though. I've sent pms to less than 10 people here, and most were replies.

7. Dick Whitman

I knew it, too, right away. I just was away then.

JC likes this.
  8. Erdely takes the stand ...
    This isn't the best story on yesterday's section of the trial, but its the first I've come across.
    Rolling Stone UVA ‘Fake Rape’ Story Defamation Trial Gets Ugly

9. Dick Whitman

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Same. She clearly was devoid of journalistic ethics more than once.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Now I want to see the complaint they filed against the university. The article leaves me feeling sorry for both victims, but also wondering what it is they think Kansas did legally wrong.

My impression after reading that article is that the victims and their parents are understandably angry about what happened and that they are misdirecting their anger at the university since no criminal charges are forthcoming.

Draft saved Draft deleted