1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utley single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

WAIT WAIT WAIT....Luis Castillo had a 35-game hitting streak? wow.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes. Where have you been?

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I saw the thing on the Cards broadcast and even McGlaughlin and Hrabosky were saying it was a hit all the way.

The pitcher looked at the runner at third while he was stopping to plant to throw. He didn't stop, look the runner back and then throw. ,

As a former official scorer I can say that live it would have been a tough call to make, especially with the ump indicating that Pujols was off the bag, but on the replay it was a clear hit.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, he is, and I'm sure all the ladies on this board are happy you let them know.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

no way the first one was a hit. pitcher fielded it cleanly. At that point, if he turns and throws to first, utley was out three steps.I was at the game. scorer went 1b, then changed it within two or three pitches to fc. It wasn't that tough a call. the minute he fielded it, it was fc all the way unless you are a phillies phanatic.
    BTW, i also saw it live.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why is Pube suddenly the evil incarnate on these threads?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Read the rulebook. Rule 10.06. (It's quoted earlier in this thread.)

Batter shall be credited with a hit if the fielder looks or feints at a runner at another base and then throws late to get the batter.

It's a hit. It's a clean hit. It was always a hit. End of story. Take it up with MLB if you don't like the rules. But as the rules now stand, it's a hit.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

so why'd the scorer change it to fc after originally scoring it a hit?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

When does football season start?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It never ended.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Because he apparently hadn't read Rule 10.06.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

From what I've read, he didn't originally score it a hit. He originally scored it an FC.

The scoreboard showed it to be a hit, but the official scorer -- whose opinion is the only one that counts -- had it FC from the beginning. Then he found Rule 10.06, interpreted it correctly, and changed it to a hit. Voila.

Draft saved Draft deleted