1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utley single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I haven't seen Utley's hit yet, but I hear that it was a controversial call.

But he had two hits, so it won't make any difference for the streak.

Anybody think it shouldn't have been ruled a hit?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was a hit, no question.

St. Louis pitcher held the ball to hold the runner at third but held it so long that when he tried for the play at first, the throw was late and off-target.

And Utley was 1-for-5.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The first one was a mental error by the pitcher. He took too many steps after lunging for the ball (a swinging bunt hit between the 3B foul line and the mound), then he took his time turning, then took his time double-clutching, then took his time throwing. But he didn't misplay a thing. Pujols pulled his foot off the bag before the throw got there, but Utley had it beat anyway. The single was the correct scoring call there.

The second one, coincidentally, was a clean hit all the way. Shortstop knocked it down, but it was going into center field as a single. Utley finished 2-for-6. Streak is at 34 games, and it's all legit.

No controversy here, no matter what the ESPN announcers tried to harp on for the entire eighth and ninth innings.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. I saw them live. Both were hits.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

2 for 6 in the box I saw.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

MLB.com story by Conor Nicholl claims 1-for-5.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Shit. I just knew I was forgetting something tonight. I forget to check on the ESPN game. I guess I'll watch the highlights in the morning. The wife passed out on the couch, so I can't turn on the tube. Oh well. I'm a Cards fan anyway. They have some serious issues with their pitching these days. This team just doesn't stand a chance.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yahoo box says 2-for-6.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AudxDOTKoFqihobxqQHLCUY5nYcB?gid=260802124

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Of course, since he did have two hits the whole premise for the thread is out the window.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

More baseball hijinks.

Taking too much time to throw is just as much of a misplay as tossing it in the dirt or booting it.

But baseball doesn't hang errors on mental mistakes.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

ESPN was stupid for saying it was a "controversial" call. What the fuck was so controversial about it?

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, but was that story subject to the approval of Major League Baseball?

Draft saved Draft deleted