1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utley not talking during his streak?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 4, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Being a phanboy loooser, I pretty much read everything written about the suddenly not-quite-so-dogass Phils. Utley, lately, has been willing to talk about all kinds of stuff -- just nothing to do with the streak. As soon as he gets a streak question, he starts talking about anything else he can think of.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As Yogi said, half this game is 90% mental.

So if he THINKS talking about the streak will hurt him . . . it probably will.

And given that the media's streak questions will be almost ALL the same . . . day after day after day . . . it's no big deal.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've never understood the need to ask the same question day after day. "How do you feel about the streak?" Do you think his answer's going to be any different from game 33 to game 34 to game 35?

Jesus, just ask him something else, like if he asks for A-T-M.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or to be more accurate:

"Chase, talk about the streak."

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"Well, it's got some funny lyrics, but I'm just not a big fan of that song."

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Actually, I believe that was Danny Ozark's quote.

Yogi's quote was: ``Baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.''

7. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

He may be talking soon. El Dookie has him hitless through 3 at bats. Could just have 1 left.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What difference does it make if he doesn't want to talk about it? Big fucking deal. Move on and ask other questions.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

buster olney said something funny last night on espn about how if the streak continues he'll have to start talking about it because 500 reporters like me (like buster -- not leo) will start following him around.

it got me wondering if that's really true. with all the cutbacks how many papers would send someone with no connection to the phillies? i'm sure there will be more media than usual if he gets near pete rose's 44 but will it really be like mcguire and sosa in 98? i doubt it.

10. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

Mets announcers were saying that Pete Rose had a press conference after every game in NY during the end of his streak.

Utley should talk, lotsa interest in the story. But how much can you really say about it. "Yes I got a hit today, and I am gonna try and get one tomorrow too"

That pretty much covers it

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So Major Reno, let's forget that little skirmish. Tell us what else happened in Montana.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

3-3 bottom 8th. Great chance they won't pitch around him.

Draft saved Draft deleted