1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utilizing video

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by JBondurant804, Sep 28, 2015.

1. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

I work at a daily with a circulation just south of 15,000. The company that owns us is on a big video kick and is really pushing for us to incorporate video into our coverage as much as possible.

Right now my co-worker and I do a "Weekly" video show, sometimes we'll go two or three weeks in between. We usually do video previews of all that week's high school football games and get shots at practices. We've done on-location videos before as well, and we did a segment with the Rookie level minor league team where we just highlighted one of the players and showcased their personalities asking them questions that aren't about baseball.

I'm interested to know what kinds of video elements you've all incorporated into your coverage and if you have any suggestions or ideas that have worked really well for you in the past as far as driving traffic.

I have an iPhone 6, and my co-worker uses a very basic camcorder. We don't have $10,000 in equipment, so any basic ideas you have would be golden. I'm just trying to figure out how to really boost my experience in that regard.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What type of traffic are you getting with video? Selling any ads or getting a sponsor for the weekly show?

As for video, you really need a dedicated video camera with a tripod. Also learn how to do VOSOTS (voiceover/sound on tape).

Draft saved Draft deleted