1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah relaxes arcane drinking laws

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Mar 19, 2009.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Liesl and I were born and raised in Houston and I don't think either of us have ever heard of a place like that. Interesting, though. And yeah, if it was 10 years ago, it's probably not there. You wouldn't recognize Houston's north side anymore.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can buy beer in Springville on Sunday's.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Did she go, "Chug! Chug! Chug!"?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's a good waitress. Leave no drop/man behind.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

-- At this pizza place in SLC -- The Pie, I think it was -- you bought beer in quart bottles. Had to go to the counter to get it, no waitresses. We asked a busboy-type when last call was, he said, "I have to clear the table at 11." Anyway, I don't remember all the details, but our group bought 2 quarts each at 10:55. At 11 when the busboy came by, we put the bottles on the floor, he cleared the table. When he was done, we put the bottles back on the table and stayed there until we were done, another hour or so.
    -- A different trip, there was confusion over my hotel reservation. They had to call the Utah SID, who I knew, but he wasn't immediately available. So I went to the bar to get a beer while I was waiting. The barmaid asked if I was staying in the hotel, which automatically makes you a member. I said I was trying to, but there was a mixup with my reservation. So she got the beer for me. Later, I asked, if my reservation had been denied and I couldn't stay there, was I in violation of the law, could I be fined or arrested? She just laughed. "Yes, this is a fucked up state," she said.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

There are parts of Dallas that are dry, too....need a membership.....I was visiting my brother once and went up to the bar and got a beer...went back to the pool table... he's like, where did you get that? I'm like, I bought it.....He's said, but you need a membership.. I shrugged and drank it.

7. And they probably had last call about 11:45 (bar time). Right?

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I lived in Lake Jackson, Texas, from '82 to '84. Had to have a membership to drink in that shithole town. (It's 60 miles from Houston on the way to Surfside.) In Freeport, however, you could drink sans the membership. In Clute, they had the Great Texas Mosquito Festival, which was apropros because it was the state fucking bird down that way.

Of course I've lived in shittier places. And somewhat better ones.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I realize there are still some dry counties in Texas. But I have never in my life heard of having to buy a membership to drink. Everyone one I know just drives to the next county, stocks up, brings it back to said dry county and has a party.

J_M, shittier than Clute or Lake Jackson? Does that actually exist???

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Southern alcohol laws are nutty.

Some dry counties allow private clubs, so technically they're "moist" but not "wet." I've been to an Outback Steakhouse down here that had separate entrances for drinkers and non-drinkers. The only way you could go from the private club side to the public side was either through the kitchen or by going outside.

Some counties and states don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday thanks to blue laws. And I can remember when alcohol couldn't be served on election days until after the polls closed.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Still that way in Kentucky. That way, only the bootleggers can buy votes with the devil's juice.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I believe it's the Heights neighborhood they're talking about. My wife and I went to a restaurant there, and a review we read (in a book published fairly recently) said you had to become a "member" in order to drink. But when we got there, no membership was required. So maybe the rules have been relaxed/discarded.

Draft saved Draft deleted